Author Topic: new knives!!!  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
new knives!!!
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:24:19 am »
Spent my thanksgiving weekend finishing up two knives, the one on the right is the one for the K.I.T.H. and the one on the left is going to my boss for Christmas.  This is my first time attempting to hollow-grind a blade too, I just bought a grinder so I had to test it out.  These blades heat up quickly, I could only make like 3 or 4 passes on the grinder and then have to douse it in water to keep it from heating up and losing the original temper in the metal.  Is that normal?   Hope you like them, I need some more practice on making sheaths, They arent pretty but they are very durable and functional.  I also was greatly influenced on the scales by looking at some of GregB's knives... I kinda stole his grain pattern idea on the osage one.  Thanks for looking!!! !  :)    -josh

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:47:35 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: new knives!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:53:39 am »
Very nice looking knives. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:18:35 pm »
Wow Josh, I like those a lot! I'm most impressed by the hollow grind job, something I haven't attempted yet. Getting that taper mid ways up on the blade is impressive and I haven't tried that yet. Most of the knives I've been making are to thin of material to do much of that, but I want to get into it. Until I do some of that type of work, I don't consider myself much of a knife maker. How did you go about getting that even taper? They look very nice! Your sheaths look fine as well. Only difference really with mine is I've bought some stamps to do some cosmetic work to them. Don't make them perform any better. Tandy Leather has all that stuff if you're ever interested.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:33:26 pm »
Greg, my bench grinder has a little platform in front of the grinding wheel that you can rest your work on.  I just hold it at the same angle to the wheel and rest the cutting edge of the blade on the platform and slowly draw the knife back across the platform maintaining my angle keeping the blade pressed against the platform the entire time.  It forces the grind to stay consistent.  (if that makes any sense.)  It's easier to show than to describe in words, just kinda figured it out by trial and error really.  I use edger blades from Lowes for my knives, you can get two knives outta one blade and they are plenty thick enough for hollow-grinding in my opinion.  Take care!   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline kerryb

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:12:04 pm »
nice knives josh, they look great
Milan Mo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 10:01:33 pm »
Nice work, good lookin' knives.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.