Author Topic: dogwood / finished!!  (Read 11597 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Re: dogwood
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 06:50:36 pm »
Nice bow, thanks for bringing us along.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline gmc

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 08:53:26 pm »
Do we approve of her? Yes sir, that's a nice bow! Good job on that dogwood.

Central Kentucky

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 09:57:34 pm »
Looks to me like you've got a shooter. Start pimping it. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 10:16:22 pm »
Looks to me like you've got a shooter. Start pimping it. ;D

HAHA Hillbilly, I'm submitting a TV show idea to Versus TV immediately, call "Pimp you Bow"  haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline wodpow

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 09:52:28 pm »
How is that dog wood coming along the first two bows I made from dog wood tree trunks pulled up splinters just wondering how yours is doing with those knots on the back that is where my splinters popped up on the knots on the highest part of the crown  I steamed the inner bark off and made sure the back was not cut any where I rubbed it off with a old copper chore girl scoring pad shot it maybe 100 plus and noticed the splinters at the knots

Kirkll

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 10:34:00 pm »
Looking good. both limbs could work a bit more right out of the fades, and the right limb is a bit flat a little past mid-limb.

hey there Hillbilly, i'm a rookie at the primitive bows here. i got a question if you don't mind.... i'm curious why you think this bow needed the fades flexing more at 24"?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 07:13:59 am »
Nice looking bow,that should be a shooter,What Hillbilly means is the limbs ant bending much out of the fads and for a longer life and less set on the rest of the limb you could spread the bending a little more out of the fads to make more wood work. Not speaking for Hillbilly but I think that is what he means. If it is at weight now I would leave it alone but if you could stand to take off a little weight I would go where he said. :) Nice work,Dogwood is a beautiful wood when finished. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 11:54:40 am »
Yep, what Pappy said. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2009, 11:57:35 am »
thats fantastic!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline knap_123

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2009, 05:43:04 pm »
got y lastcoatof truoil dryingnow and will put a handle wrap andarrow rest on.  man, i love this dogwood!!  it really handled heat bending well and feels light in the hand. 

Offline wodpow

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 03:13:38 am »
the dog wood around Illinois is heavy and hard I have went into stand off the stuff and cut trees as big around as base balls down to golf ball size and it alway amazed me that it was so hard and heavy like pink Osage  the smaller trees make for high crown target bows that I apply deer raw hide to keep the backs strong, it's the same wood that I have made arrow shafts from that wood will take a polish all by its self my buddy boned a walking stick he made till it looks polished.   My bows like to take a little more set than i like and fell out of favor with me  the recurves that I did pulled out  about half way after about 300 arrows. That wood will stack tight like you hit a wall till you get it bending at your weight and draw length. when I cut the trunks for bows I found you better cut the limb down to pith on the side you want for the belly to keep it from just splitting to the core any where it wants I lost about seven trunks that way with the bark left on and the ends sealed tight.   all the old dogwood bows I saw around had lots of set  If I leave my bow strung for say 6 hours it really takes a while for it to return to its unstrung form.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 08:42:07 am »
Nice looking bow, you did a great job.  I've been interested in trying dogwood. Looking foward to seeing it all finished up.
Traverse City, MI

Offline gmc

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 11:13:48 am »
You don't have the dress on this thing yet?

A little late, but I did post a response to your pvc quiver question in the other section.
Central Kentucky

Offline knap_123

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 04:57:43 pm »
ok, here she is.  cornbreads her name and 52# @ 27"  with deer hide arrow rest, leather grip, and horn tips with a tip protector on my lower limb.  i took her hnting this mourning  and got a few pics from the stand but no luck.'ll go back this afternoon and hope to get one.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:19:10 pm by knap_123 »

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: dogwood / finished!!
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 05:26:23 pm »
looks great Knap!!!  Glad to see it finished up.  Hope you get a big-un with it today!  Good luck.  :) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln