Author Topic: going to Georgia  (Read 2095 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
going to Georgia
« on: November 22, 2009, 04:18:52 pm »
Hey all, i havnt posted in some time, been busy. i was sworn in to the army a few months back, im on DEP (delayed enlistment program) but i fly to Ft. Benning, GA feb 1st. im only going to have a very small amount of free time in basic but between basic and AIT i may have up to 2 days, so i was wondering if there is a good chance of running across some knappable material, or a good suggestion to help me run across some for my day or 2 rest between posts? remember ill most likely be on foot so i cant travel. Thank you for the time and suggestions in advance.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Stringman

Re: going to Georgia
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 05:14:27 pm »
Hey dustin, thanks for serving! I did my basic in Benning 15 years ago. I can't imagine much has changed; you probabaly won't be thinking about knappin very much on those 2 days. 1 thing I remember about Benning is that there is a lot of rock. The othewr thing they have a lot of is shooting ranges, so don't go footin it around on base without good directions. If you're still serious about looking get a map of the area around post and look for creeks and small rivers. If they aren't running high that might be a good place to start.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 09:33:35 pm »
whooah.  ;D
 Good luck in Basic, Don't let the drill Sarg beat ya down to much.. keep your eyes front and and say Roger Drill Sgt. and remember the drill sgt is always right, you will be fine.
   In Feb huh? if i was you I'd start running now. get yourself to were you can do 2 miles in 14 mins or faster.. and to were you can run up to 8 miles with out stopping. also work on your push-ups ans sit ups.
 And i don't reckon your have any time to look for rock. I'd get your knapping done now. and wait till you get to your first duty station to knapp some more.

Mililani Hawaii

Offline warhawk

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 09:04:49 pm »
well Dustin i hope you have time to Knapp some i did 20 years most in the 82nd Airborne out of Ft Bragg and knapping material is scare here. Enjoy your time at Ft Benning and send us a email anytime.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 09:56:18 pm »
Well if ya do happen to have time and the will to go rock huntin out there. I hear of this flint river stuff that's in GA somewhere and it's some great stuff :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 03:59:06 pm »
Thank you all for the encouragement and tips. im not planing on actually knapping on my days off, just collecting a few rocks. obsidian is great, but its like steak, if its all you ever get you yearn for something else. as for the exersizing  i swore in oct 8th and have been exercising by the PT book since. couldnt run more than a 1/4 mile 28pushups and 23 situps. im up to 2 miles <20 min 40 pushups and 38 situps. im the happiest that my wife and family are behind me. its gonna be hard starting out of shape at 29 years old  ;D. gonna need all the encouragement i can get from what i hear.

Thank you again
Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit