Author Topic: dagger's are hard "pics"  (Read 7187 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
dagger's are hard "pics"
« on: November 27, 2009, 06:49:42 pm »
well i stitched my 1st dagger.. looks like crap, but its stitched.. i have got the hang of punching in a steep cross section and i can thin the blade good. i Have figured out how to start the stitch but man stitching is hard. i am going to wast allot of rock before i make a good one but I'm on my way.. i know how its done now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:25:29 am by leapingbare »
Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

Re: dagger's are hard
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:59:05 pm »
you know how sometimes when you get done knapping you have a cut on your hand you did not know you got... well when your punching a cross section for a dagger you can have a cut anywere like i just found one on my left form arm :)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 07:42:01 pm »
If it can be done...You can do it ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 07:42:30 pm »
cool. keep it up jessie. next year when I come to TN classic bet u will be able to knock me out a big ol dagger in no time. :)
Then you can show me how to do it. :)
W
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »
Well where's the picture ;D? Can't wait to see your dagger's and maybe you can give me some direction's next year..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 09:42:55 pm »
yeah, lets see it and describe the process for us. 

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 11:00:53 pm »
it would be really hard to describe. but it take allot of thinking.. and big pieces of good rock.. i think i only have 2 or 3 more pieces of rock big enough to try again.
 I cant take a pic right now, GF is outa town with her phone and i cant dl pics on my comp right now, but im going out to the bow rang this weekend and I'll get Pappy to take some pics of the finished one and the broke one and the one i hope to make tomarrow.
 Cowboy, bring me a few Large pieces of Gorge town to the classic and i knock you out one.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 11:41:19 pm »
Will do Jesse! I don't have that many bigguns but will bring what I can..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 12:35:17 am »
hey knap123 how was your ga trip?
Mililani Hawaii

Offline knap_123

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 12:01:38 pm »
aweful!!!  i took my wife and kids and that  was my first mistake!  i went to the damn and started finding a little stone but they opened the gates and the waqter  starting riseing fast so i had to leave.  then i went down the river to a canoe outfitter and i found some awesome small pieces but nothing worth the trip.  i really came out short on this trip.  i'll have to find someone with a honeyhole to go with. ;)  i got less than a crate ful and the wifes mad cause it cost so much in gas.   otherwise it was great. LOL

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 09:10:23 pm »
Jesse:  I have a copy of Chips Vol 21 #4 2009 that has a picture of a dagger on the cover and a big article about them.  If you would like I will order a copy for you.  Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 10:06:05 pm »
boy this was a real teaze

i was hoping to see your dagger jesse

i just got back from my Va. vacation,we went to the smithsonian museums too.
seen some real daggers,not one that they had on display had any stitching on the handles
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 10:35:41 pm »
 Was hoping to see some pictures, too. Claude came back from Denmark with a boatload of pictures of real ones. Do you want a piece of real Danish Flint? I have one piece left.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 08:12:27 pm »
Pappy tuck some pics of two of my daggers.. I'm a dagger maker in training so there not up to par yet.. i am all out of rock big enough to make daggers out of, so now i am stuck. but when i get some bigger rock I'll be back at it.
 Inderect percussion is a hole different ball game, and a dagger is done with more inderect percussion then direct percussion. But i made a really nice paddle out of some Osage and i made two new copper punches and I'm getting the hang of it.
 Wolfwatcher, I'll order it. thank you for the offer  :)
 Knapp123, it can be hard to find. and when the water is up its tough.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 08:37:48 pm »
Maybey not up to par for you, but I'm sure looking foward to seeing them.  How big of a piece of stone are you starting with?  I have some pretty big pieces of Snake Hill and Normanskill from upstate NY.   They tend to have weird crystalline fractures so I don't know about getting a big blade like that out of it.  But if they are big enough I'd be glad to send a piece your way.
Traverse City, MI