Author Topic: What is Primitive bow design with least stack?  (Read 3214 times)

JRuner

What is Primitive bow design with least stack?
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:41:13 pm »
Hello,  I am new here and a disabled archer.  I want to build a hickory or hickory/bamboo bow.  I draw 27inches and 45lbs max.   What is (opinons welcome) the best design keeping "stack" in mind long bow recurve native american, asian.  Yes I hunt also.   Pesronally I like cherokee D Bows and asian recurves but I have a very weak brace arm  (use a metal brace to function) and have to diesign for minimal stack.   I have great respect for primitve archery and refuse to use a crossbow even primitive  (too much like rifle hunting to me).   I would love to make a recurve but I "think" stack is greater than a longbow design?

Thanks,

John Runer
Challis, Idaho
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:00:15 pm by JRuner »

Offline Kegan

Re: What is Primitive bow design with least stack?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:03:27 pm »
There is measured stack, which is just a bow that doesn't store alot of energy, and percieved stack, which comes from short bows and low string angle at the tips. Any longbow over 62" shouldn't stack, and any recurve over 58" shouldn't (at that weight and draw length) as far as percieved stack.

Besides that it's all up to you :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 03:10:47 pm »
Recurves and bows with reflex will stack less. Also, bows that are a few inches longer than what the archer normally shoots will not stack much. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

JRuner

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 08:55:01 pm »
Would a 55 inch sinew backed Asian style recurve be practical for stack and performance at 27 inch 45lb?

Thanks,

John Runer

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 12:30:54 pm »
my experience is they usually ,because of length stack pretty good . I agree with george, If you want a bow that is easy to shoot and reasonably fast a reflexed limb with some length. which could be built from a board easily. I have built bows for handicapped people. I once shot with a person who shot with his teeth. I taught a fellow from Australia who had a bad routercuff( you could hear it when he pulled the bow)how to build a reflexdeflex bow of 45# 29 in draw in my shop. He was very happy ,it was hickory backed by hickory, with purpleheart handle. He still shoots it today. good luck denny

Kirkll

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:24:49 pm »
i'm quite certain you could build a long bow with a mild reflex that has a nice low string angle by using a pyramid style limb and keep the working portion of the limb out further towards the tips. this design has great performance advantages too.

radius

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:28:55 am »
make a holmegaard.  they hit hard.  they're an ancient design.  and the unbending tips give two advantages:

1.  mechanical advantage bending the bow, as you are using two levers (the unbending outer limbs), and

2.  low string angle resulting in a smooth draw

examples are easy to find on this site, lots of guys make them