Author Topic: Boars, Billets and Bows  (Read 2214 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Boars, Billets and Bows
« on: December 07, 2009, 02:21:52 am »
My birthday is Christmas Eve.  I've never really had a birthday party, just Christmas dinner with a birthday cake.  This year I will turn 50.  My wife and friends surprised me with a party this weekend.  What was even a bigger surprise, they all chipped to give me a gift of a wild boar hunt at Clark Range.  Three of my friends have hunted Clark Range for the last 4 years and loved the hunting experience there.  Needless to say, I'M EXCITED.

I want to take a boar with a bow I've made myself.  I'm not sure my, not-so-good hickory bow is up to the task.  So I need your all's help.  I have 7 weeks to build a bow.  Here are my options:
1) I"ve started a 55" hickory D-bow.  I've never made a d-bow; never shot a d-bow.  And I'm not sure I can get "boar weight" bow from this (my) design on this bow.  Would a 55" hickory D-bow make a zippy 55-65 lb. bow?  Probably, but it seems like I wouldn't have much of a margin for error in bow building.

2) I have a nice sassafrass board that was next in line for my bow building projects.  I was planning to back it with a left over piece from a hickory stave.  I was going to chase a ring on the hickory then plane it to 1/8 as the backing.  Planned bow design was for a "64" pyramind style.  Using bamboo as back was also a consideration.

3) This is the one I'm leaning toward.  It will be a 63-65" osage billet bow from sister stave, bamboo backed, pyramid style.

I'd like your thoughts.  Either one I choose to do, I'm going to post pics and ask advice every step of the way.  I know you kind and knowledgable bowyers here will be routing for me, the bow and a successful.  I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO TAKE A BOW WITH TRAINIING WHEELS ON THIS HUNT.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Boars, Billets and Bows
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:49:30 am »
I would go with the osage billets but not back them. Make a pyramid self bow. You can get your weight and an osage self bow would be a more durable and weather resistant bow.
   Good luck on your hunt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:05:04 am »
Pat, thanks.  Weather resistant and durable were a couple reasons for going with osage.  My thoughts for backing were: I really like the looks of a bamboo backed bow.  Second, It would give a little protection if I didn't get my joints as tight and as well glues up.  And, if I happen to violate the rings slightly it would help there also.  With so little time, I really don't have time for a "do over."  So anything I can do to increase my odds for success, I might need to do it on this bow.  If I'm completely wrong, tell me.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 11:33:04 am »
I think the Osage sounds like a good option.  The hickory would really be pushed to get that weight and be dependable, IMO.  I've made a couple Hick D's and they shoot well, but that weight would be really pushing the design at that length.  With the holidays and time - I'd go with the osage.
1’—>1’

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 11:43:22 am »
personally i would go with option 2, just because i think it would shoot real good.i would not go with option 1, mainly because i don't think it would deliver.everyone says the osage, and it probably would be the best one, but i'd do the sassafras backed hickory, i think you could get a very fast and strong bow. 
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 11:49:12 am »
An osage self bow would be more durable and reliable than a boo backed bow IMO. A simple overlay at the handle splice will take care of that as well as fill out the back of the handle so it fills your hand better.
If your osage has good rings and is sound that would be my choice. Your thoughts on this could be different so you should go with your gut feeling.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 02:22:47 pm »
ok Pat, you've convinced me.  I'll go for the un-backed osage, if I have any doubts about the integrity of the ring or the would, then I"ll back it.  Actually, not backing it would save me several day's work and drying time.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw