Author Topic: new guy introduction  (Read 17996 times)

half-eye

new guy introduction
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:59:28 am »
Hello,
       Just joined up and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a couple days older than dirt, got one good hand and one good eye and have been bowhunting since 1962. (Shakespeare "rifle-shaft" arrows ring any bells) Started "rolling my own" about 1973, both bows and arrows. I'm blessed with extrodinarily fine bow wood up here in Northern Michigan and as a consequence, have been making self bows (no backing, one piece, etc.,etc.) and my favorite (lately) arrow wood is Black Ash.

My general philosophy is that anyone who loves archery is a friend of mine. I try to build a bow and set of arrows for any youngster in the area who otherwise could not afford to get some, and I will share whatever knowlege I may have with anyone that might benefit from it.

Thought I'd attach some photo's of a few bows, and as you can plainly see they are "not for pretty" but they are hell for stout and will out-live me. I want to read all of the posts to get to know you folks....but so far ya seem like a lively bunch to me.
half-eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: new guy introduction
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:07:31 pm »
nice to meet ya, i think you'll love it here
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:30:41 pm »
Welcome to PA Halfeye. From what I can tell from your small pics, it looks like you do a fine job.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:35:28 pm »
Welcome half- eye,sounds like you should fit right in with this bunch. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:36:50 pm »
Welcome to PA half-eye. When you say northern michigan I'm hoping you mean yer a yooper like me eh :)
Or do mean to say ya live under da bridge because den yer not really in da north but kinda in da middle donchano eh :D
And ya know what us yoopers call useguys that live under da bridge ;)  >:D

Either way good to see anther Michigander on here :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:37:06 pm »
Always great to see another fella with lots of good experience.  More smarts for the pool.  Welcome to the site.  Wondering if you'd be able to enlarge those pictures you posted?  It looks like some really fine work.  Which eye is good?  I lost my left in an accident at 19, so I'm with ya, doesn't slow me down though - accept for catching car keys on a short toss and curve balls.  I do miss hitting curve balls.  Oh well, that's life.  Look forward to seeing your posts.
1’—>1’

Kirkll

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:38:36 pm »
welcome Half eye,   i'm a new member myself just getting started with the fine arts of the trade craft so to speak. i'll look forward to your contributions. i'm kinda starting with an empty cup here myself. :-[

Kirk

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 12:49:37 pm »
half-eye, nice to meet you. Welcome! Great looking bows and arrows. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 01:00:48 pm »
welcome to PA...  nice bows and arrows!   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 01:28:45 pm »
Welcome! - would you mind reposting your pics format 640x480; I'm sure that's some great stuff you got there...!
Frank from Germany...

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:32:57 pm »
Greetings  Half-Eye,
  Looks  like you  have a  wide  breadth  of  knowlege   in  archery  and  bow  building,
look  forward to  seeing  some  larger  pics  of  your work:)
zeNBowyer:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline boo

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 01:48:35 pm »
Welcome half-eye, good to meet ya. Im with you, anyone thats into archery is a friend of mine.
Boo

half-eye

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 01:56:10 pm »
Thanks for the resposes, I will reformat the pics....the originals were way to big so the computer at PA had some real bad words for me. I'll get working on that right away. It's a new learning curve for me. Thanks again....by the way my right eye is bad but I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed....and as long as that string will still come back, it's all good! (yardage gets a little closer though)
half eye

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 02:18:19 pm »
Howdy HalfEye,

Are you a UPp-er?  I'm a displaced UPp-er living in SE WI.  And, I have built a dozen or so bows, and I just finished carving out my third kid's bow.  Kid's bows are also becoming my favorite bow to build because the kids enjoy them so much.  Kid's imagination is a powerful weapon by itself, but when one adds a bow and a few arrows...  Watch out!

I look forward to hearing about (and seeing) more of your work.  Did you get out hunting this Fall?  Any luck?  Do you do any leather work; quiver(s) sheathes, bags, etc.?

Welcome aboard.  (And, I hope you figure out how to post larger pictures to better share you bows.)

All the Best,
Canoe
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 03:41:00 pm by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 02:31:51 pm »
 Welcome Half-eye, Like Pappy said, you should fit right in with this crowd. ;D  Don't be afraid to show off some of your talents. Looks like you got some nice bows.   ;)