Author Topic: Wax bow finish  (Read 4636 times)

Grunt

Wax bow finish
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:40:32 pm »
There has been several posts on wax bow finishes so I thought I'd chime in with what I use. First, I do not use only wax as a finish. I use wax to protect an existing finish.
The durability of wax is usually related to how easy or difficult it is to apply. Paste waxes do not hold up to the use a bow goes through as they need to be constantly reapplied and the same goes for beeswax.
 Over the years making decorative woodturnings I have used a lot of different waxes, some for decorative effects some for protection but now I only use two kinds and I use these as a final protection on my bows. They are Renaissance Wax, a microcrystaline wax polish developed for museum use and straight hard Carnauba wax. The Renaissance is transparent, contains no solvents , doesn't build up and is the exception to the rule for application because it's easy to apply. Renaissance Wax is also expensive at $16.00 for a small can but it is great stuff. Not as durable as straight Carnauba but again, easy to apply.
Carnauba wax application requires the use of a dedicated flannel buffing wheel. Get the 6" wheel cranking about 1650 rpm, load the wheel by holding the carnauba stick against the spinning wheel, and then apply the bow to the wheel and the heat from the friction softens the wax and transfers it on to the bow. Carnauba wax is hard and tough, one application will last a good long time.
 Any woodturning supply house will have both waxes and buffing wheels. Have fun.     

Offline woodstick

Re: Wax bow finish
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:31:52 am »
good info i use minwax on my bows bout 2 times a year depending on the use, ill have to try to find some of your brand to try, thanks.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:09:56 am »
Huge fan of carnauba.  There are a lot of hard automobile waxes that work great for wood "stuff"...my last oak bow was done up in with some Maguire's.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:07:11 am »
Great info Grunt, parafin works well too.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:23:02 am »
I've used paraffin wax and it will protect against water if heated and allowed to really penetrate the lumber, but it is not durable.  Real carnauba will penetrate the lumber and and form a hard protective coating that will protect the wood from scrapes and light impacts.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:44:20 pm »
I'll stick to tru oil.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada