Author Topic: rose hips  (Read 5220 times)

Offline jturner

rose hips
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:56:44 am »
When is the best time to harvest rose hips and what is the best way to use and store them?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: rose hips
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:59:02 am »
After they turn red so now is OK. They are bitter so probably better to be steeped into a tea. Lots of Vit C in rose hips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:18:13 am »
once they are hit by a good frost the bitterness leaves and they are sweeter. dry them slowly and they will store for a long time. even dry they can be used in muffins but you have to remove the seeds. best used as a tea.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 03:53:18 pm »
My wife made jam out them this year. Tart, but nice on toast with bacon and eggs!
Living a dream...

Offline jturner

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 11:03:30 pm »
Thanks guys i know they have lots of vit c but most ive tried have no real taste
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:47:03 pm »
i just made some arrows from rose hip shoots and its retaaaaardly good stuff
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 05:28:08 pm »
Anyone know if the cyanide content of the seeds is like that of apples?  Don't worry though, i think you would need to steep for an awful long time to leach any out of the seeds; they need to be crushed for it to be a problem.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline jturner

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 05:30:35 am »
Must have to crush alot of them to be poison. I knew they were close relatives with apples and heard bout apple seeds bein bad but i have always ate rose hips seeds and all. I am still alive  im sure with all the chemicals in our food now days you probally couldnt eat enuff in a day to be as bad for you as a meal from a fast food place
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 06:14:23 am »
It's been a long time since I ate a rose hip, so I can't recall, but if the crushed seeds smell like amaretto, they aren't to good for you, but I think you need about a cupfull of apple seeds to have enough to kill you.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Diligence

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 02:05:10 pm »
rose hip seeds have been linked to....um....rectal discomfort.  The little hairs do not digest well and can cause irritation when ingested in large volumes.

As for rose hip jelly, it's great as a toast spread and I have mixed the meat from rose hips and labrador tea leaves together to make a nice sweet "chewing tobacco"...
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.