Author Topic: kids bow  (Read 2307 times)

Offline mox1968

kids bow
« on: November 19, 2009, 01:00:27 pm »
Im going to make a bow for my step son jack.He is 8 years old and average height for an 8 year old.I have a stave of ash and was wondering if anyone has any idea of length ,width etc and also what kind of draw weight I should be aiming for??
thanks
john

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Re: kids bow
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 02:43:16 pm »
If I'm making a bow for someone I use their height for a longbow.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Innocente

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 03:35:04 pm »
i made one 48 inches and 20 pound of pull for my 6 year old, he loved it until i broke it for him. then i made another 48 inches and 25 pounds, he bitches about it being too much draw weight now.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:59:32 pm »
I've made several "adult" elbs from ash, should be a good choice. Probably his height at least and maybe 2-3 more inches, he will be growing. Any idea what his draw length is? I would shoot for 1 inch wide, 1/2 thick to 3/8 by 3/8 at the tips, maybe 22" draw???
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline mox1968

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 04:55:26 pm »
will start it at the weekend ,thanks for your input guys :)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:35:20 am »
50", about 20 lbs at 20" draw. rememeber to keep the limbs thinner, at least for me when makign kids bow that are lightweight, if the limbs are as wide as an adult bow then they will need to be much thinner to get the drawweigth down. it is a lot trickier to tiller thin limbed bows that ones with thicker limbs, at least for me. so making the limbs thinner in width (~1") will allow for more wood in thickness. just my thoughts i could be wrong, but it works for me.
45# at 27"

Gerrod Hampel

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:05:53 am »
I built my daughter's first bow out of ash when she was 4 (two years ago).  The limbs were about 1" wide.  I kept the draw weight down to about 4# @ 13"; it draws about 7# @ 16" currently, for her.   I would actually suggest making the limbs a litttle wider, maybe 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" wide, as ash, especially when thin, can take kind of an ugly set if you're not careful.   :(  I built a hickory and maple bow for a friend in Virginia who just turned 6, and got the draw weight to 10# @ 17".  I would be careful that you don't make the draw weight too heavy, but something he can grow into.  I would shoot for 20# @ 24" max, about 53" ttt, that should give him several years of service.  Just some thoughts based on my experience with kids bows.

Gerrod Hampel