Author Topic: draw knife  (Read 5647 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

draw knife
« on: December 07, 2009, 11:06:00 pm »
im thinking of asking for a draw knife for Christmas, would this be a could one? also checking if posting link s works so if not i apologize
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:07:04 am by Pappy »
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: draw knife
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:07:08 pm »
well that didnt work as i had hoped, but it sorta worked

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 11:29:30 pm »
I've got three and didn't pay that much for all three together. Check out the antique stores and E@#*. Should be able to get one around 15 - 20 dollars prurdy easy. That does look like a good'n though, if'n ya gotta have a new one.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 11:33:54 pm »
http://www.harborfreight.c om/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96829

That one works great...I still prefer a hand planer over anything else, though.

Just for reference: http://www.h arborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92553
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:07:40 am by Pappy »
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 11:42:55 pm »
if i have a big hand planer and i only use white wood do i even need a draw knife?

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 11:45:59 pm »
I never use my draw knife.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 11:48:03 pm »
now that i think of it i probably wouldn't use it alot either, i just hear about them all the time and want one.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 11:58:11 pm »
They are discussed often...but I believe it has to do with it being how things were done in the "old days".  A hand plane is a relatively new invention by comparison.  With a skilled hand, you can shave off much more material with a draw knife than with a plane, but it does require a skilled hand.  Lots of practice.  Lots of lumber.  I put my draw knife up there with circular saws and band saws...I've ruined more staves with them than made bows all together.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 12:13:59 am »
i use mine for debraking and remvinf mass off a stave if i dont do that on the band saw
which is usaully this time of year cause it gets too damn cold outside to be in the garage for any length of time
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline woodstick

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 12:15:22 am »
i use the fire outa one, thats all i use from debark to cutting it into bow shape then a rasp and scraper.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline barebo

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 06:49:28 am »
I'm with woodstick - I can turn my 100 year old drawknife on edge and make shavings as fine as a hair, or cut large amounts of excess wood from a stave in a hurry. You could basically make an entire bow with JUST a drawknife if you knew how to use it.
Mine can be "scary sharp" and has only bit me once !!!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 11:26:31 am »
only once, dern. mine dont like me then. ha ha
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

banoch

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 11:56:37 am »
Does anyone ever use a spokeshave here? I agree with all above statements made above, a drawknife can be an excellent tool in experienced hands, it can also ruin a piece of work but I still say turn it over and use it bevel down for fine work. My drawknife was made in 1922 and is always scarey sharp and with the bevel down can take a gossimer fine shaving.
The spokeshave I use is made by vertias and can make convex, concave and flat cuts and is an EXCELLENT tool and I can make curlys thin enough to see through with it, I just never hear anything about thier use here in the bow-making world, just scrapers which I know are not used for any major shaping work.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 12:00:00 pm »
I have a concave and convex spokeshave that I love to use. I use a block plane on boards too.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 12:06:00 pm »
   My favorite draw knife is a double bevel knife, swedish made. I exagerated the length of the bevel on one side and I tend to flip the draw knife from one side to the other as I work depending on which side seems to be working best. Spoke shave is also valuable, you can take very fine shavings with ither spoke shave or draw knife. Steve