Author Topic: draw knife  (Read 5642 times)

Offline Dano

Re: draw knife
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 12:49:26 pm »
If your going to build bows from staves, you should have a draw knife. The one you posted looks good, but as mentioned you can find good ones at the flea markets.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 03:12:55 pm »
 I use my draw knife and hatchet 90% of the time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 04:45:43 pm »
Yeah I had never seen a draw knife and mad my first bow using one, never looked back and still have the one I bought. I have been thinking about getting another one only because the one I have is an antique and has a crack in the blade that sometimes digs when I don't want it to, but even then I am so used to it if I am working on a spot that needs finesse I just stay away from the crack. The three tools I use until I'm finishing a bow are drawknife to get the bow down to dimensions, then a farriers rasp to get it down to floor tiller, then my scrapper to fine tiller it. Sometimes I'm lucky and after using the scraper don't even bother sanding, it saves a lot of time if your careful.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 06:19:47 pm »
I'm working on a board bow and took this picture today.  This was a cheaper plane- a craftsman for under $20- and it works great for reducing stock on boards.  I've never had much luck with draw knives on board bows.  On th flip side, I couldn't imagine trying to work a stave without one.  I have a sharp one I got from Woodcraft and one I keep dull I got at a antique shop (which I use much more than my expensive one).    Unlike Mullet, I never use a hatchet, never could really get the hang of it.  Different tools for different projects and different styles of working on the wood.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 06:25:40 pm »
I use mine for all bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 07:27:52 pm »
I like the looks of your draw knife George, very similar to mine. Older is better, don't you think  ;)? ART

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 07:47:30 pm »
Thanks, Art. I do. I inherited that knife from my Dad who died in '89. I wonder how old that knife is and where he got it. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 08:47:57 pm »
Go on that bidding site that starts with a big E....type in vintage drawknife and find one that is in good shape...thats what I did...got a keen kutter from the 20's or 30's that works great.

-Ky
GBR!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 09:33:06 pm »
I used my Grandfather's draw knife for years before I ever got into bow making George. He passed away in '39. Looked like it had a hundred years use on it but was still a great tool. Someone with sticky fingers happened to lift it. My brother bought the one I'm using now at a flea market and except for being in better shape, you would swear it's the same knife. Couldn't do without it now. ART

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 10:08:56 pm »
Those old knives are awesome., Art. Too bad your grandfather's got stolen. That really is a shame. Jawge
Set Happens!

banoch

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 12:41:52 am »
Mine is a Jennings and it was made in 1906. Looks close to new and I can't imagine that there is a better one out there. I've used it in my boat building endeavors for about the past ten years and have never felt the need for another one.

Kirkll

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 01:31:07 am »
i'm quite sure it has to do with the steel quality back then... old hand saws, as well as very old planes had wonderful steel that you can get a good edge on that lasts longer...my grandad used to sharpen his own hand saws. the sharpening jig and set pliers disapeared in a garage sale my folks had.... i was sick when i found out my mom got rid of so many of those hand tools.... tools shouldn't be sold, they need to go to grandsons... that will give them to thier grandsons...  Kirk

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 01:52:33 am »
Something about old cutting tools that people typically misunderstand is the quality of steel.  A lot of cutting tools made half a century ago, and earlier, are made of low carbon mild steel...where as, today, people are fascinated with "stainless" steels.  I can tell you that my home made draw knife...made from a 12" piece of 1/8X4 mild steel strapping...will out cut both of my new stainless ones.  I won't even get into the cost difference...

For kicks I broke my knife out today to work on a stave I've been carving for about two weeks...took two cuts to destroy it lol.  Caught a grain and dug too much out.  Wasn't a great stave.  Oh well.  For those of you who really want to use them for everything, get a lot of scrap practice.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry