Author Topic: TN classic  (Read 148143 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: TN classic
« Reply #360 on: March 12, 2010, 11:22:10 am »
Thanks for the warm invite :)  I'll be coming from Knoxville, so it's not that far of a drive.  If I were to bring a couple basic tools with me, what would you say the most important are?  A drawknife?  Thanks!

Dave

Drawknife, PENCIL, flexible measuring tape, rasp, chainsaw file, couple of scrapers... That should get you started.. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #361 on: March 12, 2010, 12:38:12 pm »
Josh got it about right,depending on what you plan on building and where you are at.If you plan on debarking and chasing growth rings a draw knife would be nice,if you plan on getting something there a lot are already passed that point. Just bring what you have and I am sure if you need something special we will come up with it,another good idea is to put you name on it,not worried about someone stealing it but sometimes things get lost in the scuffle.  :) :) Knoxville is a about 4 hours I think. :) Depending on how law abiding you are. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #362 on: March 12, 2010, 12:58:31 pm »
Josh got it about right,depending on what you plan on building and where you are at.If you plan on debarking and chasing growth rings a draw knife would be nice,if you plan on getting something there a lot are already passed that point. Just bring what you have and I am sure if you need something special we will come up with it,another good idea is to put you name on it,not worried about someone stealing it but sometimes things get lost in the scuffle.  :) :) Knoxville is a about 4 hours I think. :) Depending on how law abiding you are. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy

I try to be a law-abiding East Tennessean, but then sometimes my ancestry gets ahold of me driving around the hills :)  I can usually make it to Nashville in 2hrs, 45min, and Clarksville is (I believe) only a 30min drive to the exits, so that should be no problems.  One more question (you can tell I'm a newbie), will there be staves for sale there, or do I need to bring my own?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #363 on: March 12, 2010, 01:16:32 pm »
There will be staves, Pappy will have some hickory staves already roughed out, Gary Davis, and yazoo will have a boat load of osage between them :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #364 on: March 12, 2010, 01:57:22 pm »
Law Abiding .... ;D.... I make the 986 miles in 12 hours flat.....you do the math....... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

« Reply #365 on: March 12, 2010, 02:21:57 pm »
Law Abiding .... ;D.... I make the 986 miles in 12 hours flat.....you do the math....... >:D

average 82.1 miles an hour... with no bathroom breaks in 12 hours???   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline yazoo

« Reply #366 on: March 12, 2010, 08:46:42 pm »
I am going to bring another log for a stave splitting demo, with gary and dave,,,,maybe timo will do a cane arrow dyeing demo like at mojam last year,,since I was not paying attention O:)
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #367 on: March 12, 2010, 09:24:46 pm »

90....and stop to Pee ...when I get Gas......... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

« Reply #368 on: March 13, 2010, 12:19:00 am »
 ;D  H*ll on wheels, Mike!

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #369 on: March 13, 2010, 12:31:59 am »
There will be staves, Pappy will have some hickory staves already roughed out, Gary Davis, and yazoo will have a boat load of osage between them :)

This is great, I'd love to learn how to make an English Longbow out of Osage.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #370 on: March 13, 2010, 12:53:50 pm »

Maybe he wears those Depends undergarments like that astronaut lady that drove nonstop from Texas to Florida to whup her boyfriend's wife. ;D ;D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #371 on: March 13, 2010, 01:58:20 pm »
Now that's a thought Steve.....might give it a Try....how did it work .:....when you tried it......... >:D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #372 on: March 13, 2010, 09:37:54 pm »
Thanks for the warm invite :)  I'll be coming from Knoxville, so it's not that far of a drive.  If I were to bring a couple basic tools with me, what would you say the most important are?  A drawknife?  Thanks!

Dave

Drawknife, PENCIL, flexible measuring tape, rasp, chainsaw file, couple of scrapers... That should get you started.. 

I hate to ask so many obvious questions, but what size/type of drawkinfe do you suggest?  I went to my local carving shop today and saw one for $110 which surprised me a little!  Also, what about rasp size/type?  Thanks!

Offline RG

« Reply #373 on: March 13, 2010, 09:56:37 pm »
DMASS We are looking at your post from down here at twin oaks Pappy said to not buy anything until you come here
you will learn what you need and might be able to get some of your tools here and not waste a lot of money

Ron

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #374 on: March 13, 2010, 10:31:57 pm »
 I've got a ton of crap I don't use I'll bring.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?