Author Topic: SCALES  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: SCALES
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 10:58:43 am »
snakes always look their best after a shed.  I prefer to give them that last shed.  Duct tape has worked fine for me.  I found that my python/boa skins were way more difficult to get that last shed off when compared to rattlers.  Shoot the rattlers I could just rub my hand down the skin and they flaked right off.
I do the same also. Duct tape works great on diamond backs and gopher snakes. I cant imagine not taking the dry skin off. It makes the colors so much nicer, and the scales set smoother on the skin.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 11:02:05 am »
I have skinned at least a dozen bows possibly many more, I don't remember all of them. I would make every effort to get all the scales off. On some of my earlier skinning jobs I would miss an occasional scale and like Dano said, its coming off somewhere down the road and leaving an unfinished white spot.

I use duct tape on rattlers and masking tape in copperheads. Careful application and removal of the tape is required, I have never torn a skin. I also do the scale removal after the skin is glued on and dry, not much chance of tearing a skin after it is glued on.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 10:04:06 pm »
I have a Freezer full of Rattlers and have done at least 20 Bows backed with them....and the best tool I have found to use to remove Scales it a Big Yellow Gum Eraser that you use to clean Sander Belts with....they are soft and they grab the Scales beautiful too...but I still prefer the Alcohol...it kills two birds with one stone....loosen the tough scales....and degreases the Hide at the same time..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 03:31:28 pm »
This  is a  longbow  I  did a  few  year  ago in rattler (lighting too  poor  for clarity)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.