Author Topic: 250 pounder attempt  (Read 68550 times)

Offline CraigMBeckett

Re: 250 pounder attempt
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2010, 07:58:33 pm »
Bow-toxo

In 1548, three years after he published his book, Ascham was appointed to the post of teaching the then Princess Elizabeth, in teaching her he also taught her the art of shooting the bow.

As for your assertion to the ownership by the majority of multiple bows I suggest you look at the price of a bow compared with the money people earned, between 1270 and 1400 a carpenter earned between 3d and 5d a day while during the same period an agricultural worker earned 2d to 4d a day. Taking 1359 as an example the cost of a bow was 18d for a painted bow or 12d for a white bow, a sheath of arrows cost 17d and three strings 1d, so it would cost a carpenter 4 to 6 days work for a painted bow or 3 days work for a white one, these times can be multiplied out to get the cost in days to an agricultural worker and remember part of an agricultural workers wage could be paid in food. Now in Australia the minimum wage is $14.31 per hour, if we multiply that up by the say 10hr day we get $143.10 per day so a painted bow and 3 strings would have cost the equivalent of $1,001.70 this of course ignores the cost of arrows and their heads. How many people on minimum wage do you know that could afford to throw away multiple $1000's to own a number of different bows. The idea is ludicrous.

Le livre du roi Modus et de la Royne Racio was written about 1370 some 33 years after the start of the 100 Years' War not before it or don't you think that Crécy in 1346, La Roche-Derrien in 1347, Potiers in 1356 and the other 11 major battles between 1337 and 1369 were part of the 100 Years' War? The book was written by a Frenchman for the French aristocracy and is as much a  moral treatise as a hunting one. The French peasant did not have one let alone 2 bows, neither did the majority of the french nobility who regarded the bow with distaste. They may have had a hunting bow and even a flight bow but not a war bow. It is to be remembered that the French of that period were not renowned for their expertise in the use of the longbow or for their expertise in any form of archery. Which is one of the reasons I would place little faith in its contents.

Craig.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:43:10 am by CraigMBeckett »

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2010, 03:21:07 pm »
Crasig,

Thank you for the very informed response and for your correction of my mistaken dating of Roi Modus. Whoever the book was written for, it describes the archery gear and detailed hunting methods of the period and location and is the best information of the period that we have. That England was acknowledged to have the best archers does not make French information without value in a period lacking in English information.

Minimum wage in Ontario is $9.50 and perhaps not more applicable to the Middle Ages than Australian minimum wage. If memory serves, bowyers were restricted to three bows for personal use to be equal to other Englishmen.                                                                                           

After Agincourt, [ where French archers were present but not used] such Frernch peasants as were Francs-archiers, at least two per village, and in 1466 numbering 16,000, certainly did have bows as did Frenchmen required by ordonnance, but when they got too proficient, the nobles cancelled the ordonnance out of fear of revolt. Still, two thousand Francs-archiers were brought to England by Warwick [1470] during the Wars of the Roses to fight for Lancaster.
Thanks also for your own correction that Ascham was hired as tutor to Princess Elizabeth, not as archery.teacher.

Offline adb

« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2010, 08:21:47 pm »
Any more progress on this 250# warbow? You still haven't shown us the first bow on the tiller at full draw. Any plans for doing that? Thanks!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2010, 01:37:58 am »
Well I finally got a chance to shoot that warbow Jim sent me and I also got a chance to shoot the one I made. I know when I'm shooting my bow I didn't get it back all the way but it was my first time warbow shooting. I feel like I could probably get the other one back another inch but it felt pretty good for not practicing in a few weeks. Sorry the videos are sideways. Also I'm not sure why, but when I tried to watch the video, it was slow and didn't get to me loosing the arrow. Hopefully it works.

Offline adb

« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2010, 01:52:37 pm »
Can you provide some details on the bow you're shooting in the pis? Is it your bow, or the one Jim made for you? poundage?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2010, 12:26:59 am »
Fo shiz adb. The bow I'm drawing in the pic is the very same I made that video of me drawing. Still around 105#@32". The bow Jim made me is the one I don't get back all the way.

Offline adb

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2010, 12:14:41 pm »
Hey, Jim... it's been nearly a month... are you still workng on this project, or has it been shelved? I think many of us would still like to see your first attempt at full draw on the tiller tree.

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2010, 12:46:38 am »
Ryan, Thats awesome, good work. !  I am sending the 225 bow to Marlon. I just got the fast flighth string he suggested for the Big beast, Marlon suggested using fastflight because it has far less string stretch. that was one consideration I had not thought of.
 No  the project is not scrapped.  Its too much fun.  After the 225 pounder was built  I now know this can easily be done with a thicker piece. The next staves are made from Ipe and so the same thicknesses and widths will yield a higher draw weight. I have glued up 3 more staves for it as well as one more bamboo hickory.   I work full time plus some and cannot work on it every day or even every week for that matter.   

Offline adb

« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2010, 12:38:07 pm »
Can you send some pics of the 225# bow at full draw on your tiller tree?

Offline adb

« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2010, 05:43:26 pm »
Hey, Jim... I'm a bit disappointed you're not willing to post some pics of this bow. Until that time, I remain slightly sceptical.

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2010, 08:46:50 pm »
Im pretty sure i ran across the 225# bow on youtube...
GBR!

Offline adb

« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2010, 01:18:34 am »
Yes, there are some youtube vids, but none showng all the bow at full draw. Closeups of the weight scale does not allow full draw tiller to be seen. Jim?

Offline adb

« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2010, 08:42:05 pm »
Is this thread and attempt at making this 250# bow dead?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2010, 10:35:42 pm »
It has been going since Decamber, I think we can be paitent and wait for more info and pictures.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2010, 11:34:51 am »
It has been going since Decamber, I think we can be paitent and wait for more info and pictures.
I think my question was more directed towards Jim, and wondering if he was still working on this project.