Author Topic: WHEN CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF A BOWYER  (Read 19627 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: WHEN CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF A BOWYER
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 05:31:32 pm »
If you make bows then you are a bowyer. How proficient a bowyer you are is another matter.
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 06:59:21 pm »
If you make bows then you are a bowyer. How proficient a bowyer you are is another matter.

I think there is no other interpretation possible.

If you play a note on a piano, than you are A piano player (at that moment), still long way to go to the Rachmaninoff etudes or the Köln Concert...
Frank from Germany...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 07:48:47 pm »
"Who is Marion Webster and what does she know about it?"
Wasn't she Robin Hood's girl friend? :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dano

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 07:54:13 pm »
That was her maiden name Jawge  ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 08:52:47 pm »
I can play "Three blind mice" on a piano...but I'm not a pianist
I can sing "Fishing in the dark"...but I'm not a singer
I can service my truck... but I'm no mechanic
I can even build a dog house, a brick one if I wanted...but I'm not a.........well, you know what I mean  ;D

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 09:27:14 pm »
I can play "Three blind mice" on a piano...but I'm not a pianist
I can sing "Fishing in the dark"...but I'm not a singer
I can service my truck... but I'm no mechanic
I can even build a dog house, a brick one if I wanted...but I'm not a.........well, you know what I mean  ;D

So your saying it must be your profession?  I have a drum set that I'm trying to learn and I admit I am not a very good drummer but I am still a drummer.   
I really dont care what the label is. Even a guy that makes crapy kids f/g bows for a living would be called a bowyer when he wouldnt have half the skills of someone considered an amateur bowyer with all wood. I consider myself a hobby or amateur bowyer. Its what you do that gives you the title not what you've done once. If you make bows and thats what your into then you are a bowyer just like if you love biking and do it all the time your a cyclist and so on. It's not like being a doctor where you need to meet qualifications or pass a test. There is no such thing for being a bowyer. If you make bows and thats your thing then you are a bowyer good one or not. Fact is a relatively new guy in this hobby can make a bow that rivals the old timers with all the improved info available to them.  Just had to make a stink ;D I really dont care one way or the other.   If you aren't  a bowyer Badger then they are a mythical creature ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 09:40:43 pm »
You can call yourself anything you want, it won't make it so.

Rod.

You are so right....I call myself Her Kind...Conscientious...Loving and Caring Life Partner....

My Wife has different Names for it though........ :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline woodstick

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 09:46:16 pm »
i dont think iam i just make bows, i was told when you sell your first one. to each thier own.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 10:28:20 pm »
Make all the stinks you want Jesse. I can't smell 'em from here anyway ;D
 "To each his own" ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2009, 10:53:37 pm »
My Son has been drumming for 20 years.... He can play Drums as good as Peter Criss........Does that mean he's a drummer??....His Trade is Chemical Engineering....Thats His Job....

I build Bows and Knives...thats my Hobby....but I am a Crane Operator....not a Bowyer.......

I Scrape and Bend Wood to the Point where it Bends...and hope it doesn't break....I am a Wood Butcher....not a Bowyer

JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Traxx

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2009, 12:13:52 am »
My old Grandad used ta say,"A good hand is the one who can recognize a wreck before it happens and avoid it".

Offline Dano

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2009, 12:29:52 am »
A bowyer= the guy that gets paid the big bucks. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Gordon

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2009, 02:38:25 am »
bow·yer  (bō'yər)   
n. 
One who makes or sells bows for archery.

If you are good at making bows, then you are a good bowyer.

If you make bows for a living, then you are a professional bowyer.

If you are new to the craft, then you are a novice bowyer.

If you have staves parked in your garage for years but have yet to finish a bow, then you are a wanabe bowyer.

Gordon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2009, 06:56:32 am »
Del, I know individuals who can lay tile at home for instance and do a great job, but it might take them 5 times as long as a pro tile setter, the results might be the same. Same way with a bowyer, an experienced bowyer may take 4 hours to do what takes a less experienced bowyer 20 hours. results may be the same. Steve
Ha, but conversely, when I had all my windows done, a proffesional fitter opened up a window to convert it to a patio door, but didn't cement or seal underneath it and it's just taken a month to get the mice out of the room!
I'd rather have a bow made slowly with love by one of you guys (most of whom I'd call bowyers) than one cranked out en masse in a workshop.
Anyhow it was meant to be a joke, based on the care we all lavish on our creations.
That's still a good list.

Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 09:03:27 am »

If you have staves parked in your garage for years but have yet to finish a bow, then you are a wanabe bowyer.

So, everytime AFTER finishing one we become a wanabe bowyer again, right???  ;D ;D ;D

It's interesting to see how different all the perspectives seem to be, personally I think it's true as Gordon says!
Frank from Germany...