Author Topic: "Arrows Of Light"  (Read 14882 times)

Offline artcher1

"Arrows Of Light"
« on: December 21, 2009, 05:27:41 pm »
Got a fair start on this upcoming year's crop of "Arrows of Light" ceremonial arrows for the Cub Scouts. I used some of Pat B's hill cane for the shafts and the points were furnished by Mullet and Saw Filer. Finished shafts are sporting some of Eddie's stone heads and the unfinished arrows are hafted with Shannon's point. Points and fletching (2) are attached using artificial sinew.

Always looking to improve my arrows for the kids, so if anybody else has any pics or ideas please feel free to share. Thanks guys. ART

PS  How are your arrows coming along Justin?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: "Arrows Of Light"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 05:48:15 pm »
Nice arrows, Art. There is gonna be some pretty happy Boy Scouts with those arrows. Glad I could be a part of them.
  I've been meaning to e-mail you. How did the smaller diameter hill cane work out. The second batch were mostly smaller.  I'll be cutting cane soon so I want to know if I should cut the smaller diameter stuff too.
  Tell all the guys hey for me and Happy Holiday Season and same to you!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:30:02 pm »
As always,,,,,,simply awesome work Art.  Any one would be honored to have your arrows, and the hafting and point work is outstanding. 

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:15:21 pm »
Thanks Charles. Yeah, a lot of time and effort goes into these types of arrows as I'm sure you know. But well worth it for the kids. You just know it's going to spur their imagination and who knows where that may lead. Really appreciate the generosity of the PA family here. Certainly made my job much easier this year. ART

Thank you too Pat! Sure was glad to have some of your cane on hand for this job. Makes for a much more authentic looking arrow in my opinion.

Hey, my buddy Steve got a really nice set of hill cane arrows  >:( out of that last batch you sent. Perfect for his lower draw weight (40#). 'Bout where I'm at now also. Oh, that down hill side is a pain :'(!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 07:51:55 pm »
Art those look FANTASTIC!  Even my ugly points look pretty good on a shaft 8)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 07:57:55 pm »
Art those are awesome,glad to see ya got the cub scout colors on them too 8)

Shannon,like you make ugly points ya right.ya might be able to get some to believe that but not me  lol
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:10:33 pm »
 Those look great, Art. I wish I had time to have sent you more. Then between Shannon and myself you might have had some left over to hunt with. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 08:33:14 pm »
Are those 2 fletch or 3??  Those are beautiful.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:22:33 pm »
Art,
very nice looking arrows and for a great cause. Pat and Mullet you guys are also top notch for helping with your gifted artistry. Primitive archers are the best!
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 09:03:17 am »
Thanks everyone!

Eddie, no shortage of of Cubbies out there. I could spend all winter making these and still not have enough. But this old kettle is running out of steam so I'm kinda of limiting myself this year.

Those are two fletch nugget. Perfect for display I think. I normally use the Eastern woodland two-fletch but thought I would try something different this year. Here's a set from several years ago.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 01:03:16 pm »
Way cooler than the arrows we had when I was a scout!

Grunt

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 07:31:34 pm »
Way cool.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:11:09 pm »
art i love that last set of arrows,very nice
dont want to change your topic,but could i bother you or someone else
for a pic of that 2 fletch,before the fletch is actually applied to the shaft
i am curious as to how the feather should look and i would like to try this style
thanks
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline artcher1

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 10:20:24 pm »
I appreciate the kind words you guys.

Sailordad, if no one can help you with that by tomorrow I'll cut one out and take a picture for you. ART

Offline artcher1

Re: "Arrows of Light"
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 10:22:02 am »
Here you go Sailordad. You'll notice that the main body of the fletch is a left winged fletch so you would attack accordingly. ART