Author Topic: Red osier arrows  (Read 12777 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Red osier arrows
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 04:43:58 pm »
Got a box in the mail today.  Thank you Sailordad.  Never seen anything like that around here in Va.  Maybe just not looking in the right places.  I am sure red osier has to grow here somewhere.  I will start right away on bending these straight each day for a couple of weeks, and then peel the bark off and straighten some more.  Will get some pictures later.  Check back in about a year for the finished arrows.........lol

Offline sailordad

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 06:25:08 pm »
excellent,glad ya like em. :)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 10:58:21 pm »
I have to say, Sailordad, you do a good job straightening those shafts. In the picture, I can't tell the difference between those and a picture of Port Orford Cedars from an archery shop. I'm still learning the straightening technique---hope mine will come out that straight!
Living a dream...

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 11:52:49 pm »
I am no longer a huge fan or red osier (tons around these parts). In my hands ocean spray makes a far superior hunting arrow. But with the RO, as you dry it (remove bark right away), shafts will go through three phases. First, its green and totally elastic (i.e. can't be straightened). This can last a week or so, but depends on your RH etc. Phase two starts the plastic stage, when you can easily straighten the shafts by hand. Do this a few times a day. After several days they will be too dry to straighten easily without the application of heat. This is the third stage. If you understand which phase your shaft is in you know how to proceed.
Dave
NW Montana

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 01:29:05 am »
One thing to remember about any shoot shafting is you want to harvest at least second year growth to get consistent arrows. Generally first year growth has leaves along the shoot. The second year small branches grow out of the bud at last years leaf scar. After the second year you have 2 growth rings; one for each year of growth and I believe having two(or more) growth rings give the shaft it's stiffness and resilience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 01:13:26 am »
I have to say, Sailordad, you do a good job straightening those shafts. In the picture, I can't tell the difference between those and a picture of Port Orford Cedars from an archery shop. I'm still learning the straightening technique---hope mine will come out that straight!

thanks

its not that difficult.but ya just gotta be patient with them when straightening them.i usually go thru about 3-4 sessions with each shaft before i get them as straight as i want them
the first session is to just get them roughly straight,the second one gets them closer,the third one gets them even closer.then i cut them 2" longer thani want the finished shaft.
the last session is the one that gets them almost store bought straight,but they are never perfectly straight.then i heat temper once i have them as straight as i can get them.
after each session i leave them alone for atleast a week so.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 02:13:51 pm »
Thanks for the tips!  :) I think I have the straightening "feel" down now. It took me a few tries, but now I have the feel down. I've gotten a couple shafts done and am pretty happy with myself. Thanks, Sailordad, for the tips. Thanks to PatB for his advice and the shafts! This is fun!
Living a dream...

Offline sailordad

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 11:19:46 pm »
stringstretcher:   just curious if youve mailed your end of the trade out as of yet? ??? ???

peace,
                                                                    tim

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 10:13:43 am »
I have them in the box, and will be going to the post office the first thing Monday morning.  Hope you like them....Now I will put an extra one of two in the box if they will find there way back on an arrow?   Just hopeing I guess.....lol  I have some other stuff that I am throwing in the box as well.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 10:18:46 am »
I have also been playing with the RO tha sailordad sent me.  When I first grabbed one, while bending it, I felt and heard a snap.  I lightened up my pressure...lol...and have now taken them through about 3 hand straightening.  They are getting straighter each time.  I have them on my basement floor, right under one of the heat vents, so air is moving around them all the time.  Be a while before I get to the heat part.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 11:09:50 am »
Charlie, if you heard a crack while straightening the shoots don't use that shoot for an arrow without examining it very well. I save these for quiver stiffeners or fore shafts for compound arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 11:23:17 am »
I have them in the box, and will be going to the post office the first thing Monday morning.  Hope you like them....Now I will put an extra one of two in the box if they will find there way back on an arrow?   Just hopeing I guess.....lol  I have some other stuff that I am throwing in the box as well.

ya i can probably do that.did you want them heads or something else.i have many many heads laying around that i have been meaning to put on shafts.
i have obsidion,keokuk,butlington,goldstone and other rocks that i dont know what they are.except that they are knappable.lol
i do have a bunch of straightened shafts and feathers that are already split too,just havent sat down and put them together yet.

the ones that i hear a snap from i dedicate as "wall hangers only".i make them that way only cause its good practice.or i use the shaft as pitch sticks etc. .i always let folks know to that they are only for the wall,that way they dont try and shoot them and have them blow apart or worse stick in their arm.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:25:48 pm by sailordad »

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 07:18:38 pm »
If you can make an arrow for my collection, that would be just fine.......look for the box next week.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 11:59:10 pm »
sailordad, that's mighty fine work. David, sam with wild rose. After awhile they straighten and hold easily by hand. I like your description of the 3 stages. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!