Author Topic: pheasant tail feathers for fletching??  (Read 16817 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Re: pheasant tail feathers for fletching??
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 03:17:42 am »
Right, VERY pricey!

Ps: I'll email the guy and ask for a photo to show you!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 05:19:21 pm »
I have used tail feathers and wing primaries from ringnecks,the primaries held up better,especially when trimmed short,still have'nt found better than turkey gobbler wing primaries, male peacock primaries are nice and look really cool.Make a great looking cock feather across from barred turkey.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 07:27:09 pm »
My friend sent me these tow pictures to show you:
first is a Corean arrow with ringneck pheasant pointers as a fletching; the guy says evenso they are soft they work well!
second is an arrow fletched with argus pheasant and Laburnum nock insert; nice, huh??

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 12:10:42 pm »
I'd like to raise me a penful of them argus just to fletch with them.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 03:24:14 pm »
I saw his arrows in real and they looked even better!
One feather makes 3 fletches easily, btw. and the pheasant has many of those; they are backfeathers like a peacock's.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 05:40:51 am »
That's a mighty fancy lookin' chicken :D
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 10:35:44 am »
Yet not as fancy a chicken as a peacock I would say...!
Frank from Germany...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 08:47:55 pm »
I've got peacocks in my nieghborhood.  I hope these argus pheasants are not as obnoxious as peafowl.  Imagine waking up in the summer every hour on the hour all night to the sound of a woman screaming her head off!  That, my friends, is what a peacock adds to your neighborhood. 

I hear the foxes got one of the peacocks last summer.  Oh, and I can assure you that they taste just like South Dakota ringneck pheasant.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 09:02:58 pm »

J.W. Peacocks are quite delicious!  Just don't wax and polish your car during breeding season.  You will have peck marks all over it!
Used to be a Dr. had some, down by Lake Osbourne, in Lake Worth, Fla. and the Fire Dept was always being called out for someone drowning, and  yelling for help down by the lake......If you wait for the males to fan out their fans, you can sneak up on them. ;)
They also have nice wing feathers.  Oh, and don't bother trying to run one down!  When I was a whole lot younger, I tried that once.  I was pretty fast in High school 100 yd dash in 9.9 sec.  Didn't matter, it was just cruising, like no big deal.  8)  It was the Road Runner, and Wiley Coyote all over again. ::)  Finally, it just jumped up and flew away.  I thought for sure I was going to get close enough to hit with the stick I had.  Oh, well, just chicken for dinner, no Peacock.  A Friend of mine used to shoe horses, and one of the ranches we went to had Peacocks.  We would catch the males like I said, by coming up behind them, when they spread out their tail feathers.  Also they make excellent fishing lures from their other feathers, especially the tail feathers. ;)  Too bad I didn't have a "Bola" with me then. ;)
                                                                         Wayne

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 04:26:34 am »
I've got peacocks in my nieghborhood.  I hope these argus pheasants are not as obnoxious as peafowl.  Imagine waking up in the summer every hour on the hour all night to the sound of a woman screaming her head off!  That, my friends, is what a peacock adds to your neighborhood. 

All fowl-like birds are like that, even the midget China quails I used to breed when I was a kid where like that; but it's alway the cock, not the hen being obnoxious.
Frank from Germany...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 09:14:32 pm »
Just got back from Presho, SD where the chinese ringneck pheasant is king.  We saw, and I am not exagerating, flocks of hundreds of pheasants in the snowy fields gleaning whatever grain and weed seed they could find.  I have a friend over there that owns some pretty fine farm land in the middle of Pay Hunting Paradise ($300/day per gun, no amenities).  With the thousands of pay hunters shooting every bird that flushes within 50 yards, there are still hundreds of thousands of birds left in that county.  I count myself pretty fortunate to still be able to hunt pheasants over there in exchange for a few days of farming help.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.