Author Topic: First Red Oak bow!  (Read 6603 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Re: First Red Oak bow!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 02:05:54 pm »
Your English is this good after arriving from Peru only two years ago?!  Ver explicación y traducción!!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline luis32

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 06:20:44 pm »
Hi thank you all for the kind words,I couldnt take any pics of the bow but it is very simple doesnt have any exotic wood or anything it just a plain bow,for my next bow I will put more work into it and if I can buy some tools.
Could you tell me what kind of tools you use to make board bows,something that doesnt cost a lot of money but does a good job,I also wanted to ask what kind of string should I use because I used some string that I had at my house and now I have some cuts and a blister in my index finger.Oh and does anybody know how to make a shooting glove or something to protect my finger.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 02:11:00 pm »
I just discovered that a machete can be both a hatchet and a drawknife, and cheap too.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline luis32

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 03:33:24 pm »
I just discovered that a machete can be both a hatchet and a drawknife, and cheap too.
What a coincidence that you mentioned a machete because I just came back from a hiking/camping store and I was planning to buy a machete but they asked me for an ID and I dont have one.I didnt know you needed an ID to buy a machete.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 05:36:58 pm »
must be atleast 16 or 18 i believe to buy a knife iirc

Offline luis32

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2009, 08:50:30 pm »
must be atleast 16 or 18 i believe to buy a knife iirc
Yes,I just have to wait 6 months more ;D

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 11:43:02 am »
Go to a Kitchen Supply store or place like Bed Bath & Beyond, and buy a large 12" Chef's knife.  "For my mom's birthday".
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 01:14:29 pm »
A good rasp and a scraper is all I use after floor tillering. Towards the end, just a scraper. You can buy both at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. A 4 way scraper will be helpful and is relatively cheep and your scissors make an excellent scraper. The machete', if you have good control of it, will get you to floor tiller stage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline luis32

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 11:22:59 pm »
PatB you do you mean a 4 way rasp??I been searching a lot in the internet and I think Im going to buy a 4 way rasp,a file to shape the nocks and maybe a drawknife if I find one(I am hoping to work on tree staves soon)Thanks for all you help.

Offline wodpow

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 12:03:40 am »
very nice first bow!  now the sad part  you will lose that first fist bow felling and even though you get to know new bows it won't be like your first ever again :'(

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 12:17:42 am »
good work. keep at it. and it certainly is an adictive passion.
Cape York, Australia

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 01:05:57 pm »
good job , just proves the determination of man , if you need any help with tools let me know ill send you some i have several four way rasps and used horseshoeing rasps.