Author Topic: Bamboo shaft question  (Read 2391 times)

Grunt

Bamboo shaft question
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:31:36 pm »
There has been a lot of good back and forth about bamboo shafts on this thread. I have a question, do you need to heat temper bamboo shafts?  If you need to heat temper, how is it done?

Offline CraigMBeckett

Re: Bamboo shaft question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 09:22:10 am »
do you need to heat temper bamboo shafts?

No you do not need to heat temper bamboo shafts, you do however need to use heat during the straightening process.

Craig.

Offline canidsong

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 02:11:49 pm »
i would add that it's been my experience that you want to get a given section straight in one heating or the nodes are prone to crack. my experience is with 'boo barden stakes.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 04:38:20 pm »
Grunt, I temper my cane shafts after all the straightening is done. I begin at one end and heat while rotation the cane. As color begins to change move out the shaft and so on until you reach the other end. After this lay them flat until they are completely    cool. One note of caution: When you reach the far end, be aware and beware of the steam coming out the end. It will burn you before you know it.  :o   Tempering will help to keep the cane straight. I also do this with hardwood shoot shafts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 10:11:58 am »
Thanks for the info guys. I'll see if heat tempering works for me.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:04:35 am »
I've never seen the need to temper bamboo/cane myself, but the heat used for straightening probably does to some extent. I always temper hardwood shoot shafts, though, or they won't stay straight.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 03:01:24 pm »
I have used cane for the last four years and hardly use anything else.I do like Pat and after they are straightened, I like to toast them to a golden brown. In my experience, after they are tempered your arrows stay straight much longer than if you only straighten them. Steve
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)