Author Topic: My first attempt to build a bow  (Read 9840 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: My first attempt to build a bow
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 08:29:35 pm »
Now that looks good! I would work about the last 8 inches of Limb now if it were mine... get the last little bit bending a little more...unless you like the Stiff Tips...I prefer to have them all but the last 2-3 inches bending well....JMO.....and maybe a bit more at the Fades also...but watch it so you don't take off too much weight...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline woodstick

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 08:43:17 pm »
that looks spot on. good job i bet she is a shooter.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 12:25:15 am »
are you still on the long string, you need to cut the nocks in and go to the short string. you should go to the short string once the bow is bending enough to get about 3" of brace height
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 03:03:48 pm »
yeah... definitely need to get it off the long string... you risk coming in way under weight using the long string too long..  the string angle from the long string gives a higher weight reading than it will be at full brace  (took me like 5 bows to figure it out for myself  ;) )  If you haven't braced it for the first time yet, go ahead and brace it, you will be able to see true tiller better that way.  looking pretty good so far for a first. The first one is always the coolest, then you are hooked!  Good luck!   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fieldmouse

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 10:29:05 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback guys.  It's pretty hard to do this buy only reading other people's builds, books and web sites.  I don't have the feel for it or I should say, a finish bow to go by.  However, it's awesome to have the support.  I have a member sending me a short string and hopefully, I haven't gone too far and passed my goal.  However if I did, some great advice I have already received, boards are cheap. ;)