Author Topic: tanning rabbit hide  (Read 16875 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Re: tanning rabbit hide
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 10:27:51 am »
i've never tried it but i can guarentee you that tame rabbit hides, specially the old one's are a heck of alot tougher than wild one's. good luck and let us know how it comes out!
lets just shoot it

orcbow

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 10:38:57 am »
I recently saw some info on PaleoPlanet that said that battery-acid was very hard to neutralize in the skin. So after several years the furs will apparently disintegrate as the acid slowly continues it's work.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 12:39:10 pm »
My Father did a Deer Hide when I was a Kid with straight Sulfuric Acid....Hair On Tan....and I still have a Game Bag...and a small Pouch from this Hide...and it is still white...soft and pliable...without ever being oiled or anything....I think that the main concern would be....to make sure the Hide is neutralized well in a solution of Baking Soda and water until the PH is back up to neutral.....then it should be fine.....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome