Author Topic: Pacific Yew board  (Read 9181 times)

Offline Tom Leemans

Re: Pacific Yew board
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 08:14:43 am »
If you are worried about the sapwood, decrown it and back it with hickory or bamboo.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 01:06:32 am »
The splinter bow has been backed with cotton and is almost tillered out.  Should be a smooth 30-35# when done.

So I found some bamboo today at another lumber store. The 4" diameter poles were 45$ and the 2" poles were 9$. So I got a 8ft by 2½" pole with ¼" walls.

I split off 1½" and worked it flat to about 1/5 thick. I had a little extra splinter too so I tested the strength. The two tips almost touched before a splinter popped up.

This is my first real bamboo backed bow so I'm doing a straight glue up. There is still enough of the yew to make another one of these too.
The clamps are there because I didn't want to make a million wedges to tighten the twine.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline gmc

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 02:06:38 am »
This is some cool stuff, can't wait to see a bow here.
Central Kentucky

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 05:39:17 am »
A million wedges is part of the process...but there are shortcuts

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 05:21:52 pm »
Well the splinter bow just blew up in 4 neat chunks at 24"...  Turns out the grain was pretty twisted, 30 or so degrees from straight.  The break started just on the outside of the cotton backing.

Will the bamboo backed ones have a chance? 
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 05:30:03 pm »
Looks to me like there is air space under the Boo between the Bows back and the belly of the Boo...did you plane the Boo Flat on the Belly side?? Did you taper it to a thin edge on the sides of the Limbs? If the Boo is too thick...it will overpower the Yew and cause it to fail....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome