Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 3429 times)

Offline bigcountry

Tiller check
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:47:42 pm »
So how bad is it?

I had this bow set and ready.  But it had some natural deflex.  So I figured I would spice  her up a tad and flip the tips.  I did about 2".  Fairly good bit.  But then after fine tillering, developed a slight hinge.  So after all this, I think I got the hinge out.

The last 3rd of the limbs appear stiff but I figured I better not get them bending more as I induced the reflex in the tips.  So they are working.  I wanted it to be a slight holmgaard.  It started as a pure pyramid design but now I have thinned the last 3rd  to be almost like a stretched out holmgaard.

Here it is unbraced after flipping the tips.

Here it is at 29"  I have it on the tree the way I hold it and general place where I draw.
Westminster, MD

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:52:06 pm »
The ends do look a little stiff, but if that is what you were shooting for looks pretty good.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 03:18:06 pm »
Yeah....sure seems to me that there is a little wood ...doing a lot of work there....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 04:24:48 pm »
I don't see a hinge. Tiller is good but if you want to improve it get the near handle wood moving. It should start to bend at the end of the fades. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 04:39:15 pm »
left limb looks stiffer out of the fade than the right. right limb looks good maybe a little more bend 2/3 down the limb towards the tip. not much more. all in all looks good.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 05:20:48 pm »
I agree the left limb looks stiff, inner third. I like the profile.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 05:37:12 pm »
I agree with Jawge...the Wood near the fades is doing nothing...needs to start bending as soon as the Wood Transitions from Handle to Limb....  then the Outer foot or so could use some work to get a little more movement out there also....JMO...also a Frontal view of the Bows shape would be helpful in visualizing the Tiller too..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 05:46:00 pm »
I agree the left limb looks stiff, inner third. I like the profile.

Yea, I left it 1/8-1/4" positive tiller.  I might take a little off that bottom limb (left).

I usually make my bows (well the whole 3 of em) equal tiller.  If you notice I have the handle in the tree a little high (where i hold it).

Thanks for the eyes.  I might make it even tiller.
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 05:48:18 pm »
I don't see a hinge. Tiller is good but if you want to improve it get the near handle wood moving. It should start to bend at the end of the fades. Jawge

Yea, I fixed the hinge.  Reason the bow is a 40lber now. 

I always have trouble getting more bend out of the fades.

I think next bow I will be real aggressive near the fades while floor tillering.  Seems I run out of wieght room before working on the fades.  Part of it, is I use the eric gizmo, so I put all my time away from the fades.

Thanks George.
Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 05:50:10 pm »
I depend on my Gizmo ... it keeps me from leaving Stiff Spots anywhere on the Limbs....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 06:29:36 pm »
The gizmo doesnt do well up on the fades.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:39:37 pm »
nope...that is why I work them with a Camera...and my Wife's Eagle Eye....... ;).I also work the Fades diligently throughout the whole Tillering Process...just to make sure that I don' end up taking off too much weight at the end ...because the Wood ain't moving in the Fades like it should be.....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 07:19:31 pm »
big, I've spent hours there. Mark a nice dark pencil line at the end of the fade and just keep working. Use a scraper. Take 20 passes. Check tiller. The good thing is yo can leave the stave string. Caveat! That is one of the easiest areas to mess up and hinge so easy does it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!