Author Topic: 2 feather vs. 3 feather fletching??  (Read 19859 times)

Offline Buck67

Re: 2 feather vs. 3 feather fletching??
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 03:49:56 am »
I make all my personal arrows two fletch.  I find they are easier to nock and shoot because I don't have to worry about where the third feather is.  I cut my feathers 1/2" tall at the back and 3/8" at the front and about 4" long.  I have made them both fully adhered and bound front and back and also loose and bound front and back.  Both shoot well.

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 08:41:44 am »
I agree about two fletches.  I used them for horse archery a lot.  They were quicker to load, and except for the first 2 yards, they flew exactly like the others.  I used a larger feather surface area by cutting down "half flu flu feathers and made them gaudy as hell so I could find them out in the weeds...not that I EVER missed a shot...or anything like that...  (W

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 09:33:00 am »
I haven't made any arrows for a year or two, but about 3 winters ago I had a lot of time and various turkey feathers and made quite a few different styles and combos. The few times I've shot the two fletch I've had mixed results. The better ones were fast and accurate, the lesser ones acted like a well thrown knuckle ball but still tended to find the target. Based on this very limited testing I would have to conclude that maybe the two fletch are not as forgiving of poor craftsmanship'

I've also noticed that nearly all the arrows (which are very long and probably very heavy) used by the Amazonia tribes are two fletch, and usually a longer feather.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.