Author Topic: What do you guys think?  (Read 10020 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Re: What do you guys think?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 03:04:23 pm »
i shoot the same way and do that same thing with other things like bowling,and even snap rifle shooting  ;D ;D

I also meant to say that my style of shooting is like a snap shooter. I concentrate on a spot, pull back slow, while maintaining concentration on a spot, until it feels right, then release. I know you guys are probably scratching your head by now. ;D
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 03:38:54 pm »
I asked pictures of the last 6 inches or so because narrowing them, if they are too chunky, will up the speed. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 03:45:10 pm »
  George. I have got quite a bit of arrow hanging out in front. But they fly extremely well at that length, thats why i never tried cutting them down. May have to try one, and see how it flies.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 04:46:24 pm »
 I agree with everybody else. The only thing I might add is, are you sure the Chrono was calibrated correctly? and I've had clouds pass over and change the lighting slightly enough to give false readings on a Chrono.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 05:05:28 pm »
Bentstick, George was referring to the tips on your bow. If you can narrow them you can pick up more performance. Look around at some of the nocks on other people's bows and see how narrow they can be. If you could show a picture of your bow tips we might be able to give you some ideas.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 07:09:30 pm »
  I'm not sure on how to post a picture on this site. If i can, i will try and show the bow tips. This ol country guy is not that good with computers. ;D

Offline wodpow

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 04:02:20 am »
it would be crossbow time  for me nothing worse than a slow death for a  wounded deer.

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 07:15:05 am »
i shoot the same way and do that same thing with other things like bowling,and even snap rifle shooting  ;D ;D

So, what weight bowling ball should I use for deer sized game? ;D
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 11:57:47 am »
Having dispatched several wounded deer with a quick knife thrust to the rib cage I was surprised how little pressure it takes a sharp blade to penetrate into the lungs. You will be fine with your arrow weight and speed.

I like my hunting shots to be 15 yards and less. Every deer I have shot at in the last 10 years went home to my freezer. Pick your shot carefully and you will be very successful with your bow.

Don't listen to crossbow advocates.

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 02:51:22 pm »
 Sorry guys, i tried to get pictures of the limb tips, and the whole set-up, but can't get them to appear on this site. Anyway, my bow doesn't bend at the handle, if it does, i can't tell. I also have a mini boa 4 arrow quiver, thats fastened at the fades. The handle area is approx. 1 1/4" thick. I built the handle area out with material. Do you guys think that the quiver could effect a selfbows performance. I can't seem to find a non bow mounted quiver that i can use, plus, take a seat, stool on my back, in with me to sit on ???. Thats the only reason i use a bow mount quiver. I actually like shooting, and hunting without the quiver on the bow.

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 03:12:18 pm »
hope this works. this is the bow tip.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 03:20:48 pm »
Here is the back.

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 03:26:01 pm »
The whole set up.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 03:46:20 pm »
That Set Up should be more than Adequate for Deer Hunting with...Proper Form...Anchor and Follow Through are more important than Speed any day of the Year....if can master these....then when the Shot presents itself...you and your Bow will be ready...if you are unsure of yourself...please practice on a target...not an Animal....You must be 100% when Hunting with Primitive Equipment.....and like stated above...don't listen to the Crossbow Crowd....I have seen more deer missed or Wounded by People that think that they can shoot anything at any range...because it's a Crossbow....well a Crossbow has to have 3 time the Draw Weight to do what a Longbow will do...they peak out...and start to lose performance almost instantaneously...I have a Barnett Crossbow....Bowtech Compounds...and umteen Selfbows....and I would use any of the Bows at a distance of under 30 yards...before I would ever shoot the Crossbow at a living Animal....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline MarkR

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 04:38:41 pm »
Your bows always look good, tiller-wise. If you tell them about your 23" draw, it will clear up a lot of the mystery. Of course, this is coming from  someone who has to stretch out to hit 25". Those of us who are kinetically challenged  have  a bit more to do to get a little more speed out of a self bow.