Author Topic: Osage backed osage longbow  (Read 4183 times)

Rich Saffold

Re: Osage backed osage longbow
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 03:27:27 am »
Keenan, Thanks, I was hoping to create a little excitement/interest because this place has a lot of talented bowyers who can make very good use out of two straight yet skinny pieces of wood like I did with these last two bows..It's almost too easy..

"Almost" since this particular bow is from two edge grained slats so it took a few minutes to figure out which one is the back and the belly and then which way did they go..so I just winged it and lucked out ;D.

Aznboi3644   It's actually a bit of an Illusion and the handle section barely flexes at full draw. if you look at the brace photo and  full draw there isn't much difference, but the whole bow is bending except for the last few inches. This is one of the reasons I like this style since every bit of it is working, and I'm trying to get the most out of the bow without stressing the wood beyond its capabilities..  The other reason is I think these skinny curvaceous bows are rather sexy...

and nearly center-shot :D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 06:06:08 am »
Great looking bow Rich,simple and sweet.Looks like a shooter to me.Can't remember seeing and Osage backed Osage before.Cool. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 01:56:03 pm »
Really nice bow, I love the tiller. Gives this rookie something to aim for!

Nat.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 01:58:25 pm »
Whew - The French would be wary of this one! Quite the weapon. Bookmarked for Jan Laminate BOM, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Rich Saffold

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 02:55:44 pm »
Thanks Pappy, I'm glad you like it, and figured you would know if someone was building these.

Nathan Thanks this bow after getting into the form was rather easy to finish.

Oldbow Thanks, I'm working on an article for PA on these bows and have it about half done. I just wanted to mention this, and have to see how a couple more of my experiments/prototypes come out before I'm done.  I'll try and get some better pics in the coming days.

Rich