Author Topic: Building of strings  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Wolfgang

Building of strings
« on: January 07, 2010, 05:50:30 pm »
After having built my first two bows with sinew backing, skin glue and titebond III finish, I'd like to find the details on the strength of strin materials, both commercial products and natural materials.
Where, for instance, do I find the information how strong dacron or fastflight are to calculate the numbert of threads for a string that stands a 47 lb recurved bow of 70'' length.

Thanks a lot for any substantial advice from a new member!

Wolfgang

Offline Kegan

Re: Building of strings
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:32:17 pm »
With modern materials you'd be using such a tiny string it'd be uncomfortable to draw. For most applications,  a 14 strand modern string will be more than enough. For really heavy bows you'll want some more Dacron, 16-18.

Dunno about modern materials though. I've only made on sinew string and I broke it before I got it onto a bow. I've had rawhide strings (deer hide, made as John McPherson covered in Naked Into the Wilderness) for bows up to about 55#. Fox squirrel and ground hog rawhide strings should be tougher and stronger.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Building of strings
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 06:35:06 pm »
Wolfgang, I use only B-50 Dacron for bow strings and for bows over 50# I use 14 strands. For less than 50# I use 12 strands.
  Each manufacturer should have the strength values on their websites. If you don't get the answers here do a Google search.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC