Author Topic: To Bend Or not Bend  (Read 3320 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: To Bend Or not Bend
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 07:29:26 pm »
What Jawge said....... :P......let the wood talk to you...look at the Grain as it goes around the Knots...like water around a rock in a creek or river...you must not violate these grains either... I never meant for you to make a Stave by removing all of the Knots on the Edges...they will be perfectly fine as long as the Longitudinal Grain is intact along with the Back of the Bow following a Single ring for the whole distance...Please don't take me wrong here...I beleive that you will make a great Bow from this Stave...I love Osage! But to me it looks like you violated the grain around a couple of these Knots and also violted the Back Ring around at least one in the Posted Pictures....I may be looking at them wrong...but I don't beleive so...I would do like Pat said and back it with Rawhide to remove the Pucker Factor....JMO

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:45:56 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 08:02:08 pm »
     Personally I never use any kind of heat anymore.But if I did I'd go a long with Jawge.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Little John

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 08:07:50 pm »
Thanks Pat, Jawge, and Mike for your input. I can see now the small grain violations and know I will do a better job of following the grain next time. I may not have paid enough dues to pull this off in an unbacked state but if rawhide can save it that is fine with me. I have some more of this very knotty wood and more experience to do a better job on the next one.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline artcher1

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 08:27:31 pm »
Kenneth, limb deformation, as far I understand it, is when the limb bulges out on the return stroke causing the tip to reverse direction after striking home. Adds to hand shock and wrist slap from the string traveling to far forward. To prevent that it's a simple matter of stiffening the center to outer portion of the limb slightly. Hope I got that right, seems I read that somewhere once.

ART