Author Topic: Tiller Help on BBI R&D  (Read 6419 times)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Tiller Help on BBI R&D
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 12:52:54 pm »
I would say so far you got some good solid advice.. Ready to see the next pic's..

vtclimber

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 01:32:55 pm »
Here are a couple more. I've worked the outer 2/3's quite a bit and I ("think") I got the bending at the fades even. Thanks for all the helpful comments. Right now it is just over 50# at 23". In order to get to at least 26" should I just keep working the last 2/3's??

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 01:46:57 pm »
Don't do it man... it is already bending a lot out there.  If you work only the outer 2/3 it will be whip tillered. A R/D does not have an elliptical tiller. The outer limbs appear straight even though they are bending. With Ipe you might not get a ton of set, but it will still be whip tillered. Search R/D tiller and look at the tiller on some other bows.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:50:32 pm by Justin Snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

vtclimber

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 01:48:58 pm »
Thanks Justin - How should I continue? Work the whole limbs to get it to weight?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 01:51:53 pm »
Entire limb... I think the left limb may be bending too far already in the outer 2/3. The right limb could use more bend at the fades to match the left.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

vtclimber

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 01:57:51 pm »
Thanks man - I may just try to even it up and leave it at the draw it is. I can shoot a shorter length, just prefer a min of 26..

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 03:10:57 pm »
The Picture I posted helps me with whatever style Bow I am building...whether a  D Bow... or a Reflex/Deflex Bow...you just use the Ellipse as a guide to see what parts of the Limbs are doing...and how close to the same each part is....that being said....Right now it looks like you have everything but the last 1/3 of the Limbs working well....you don't want the last third to curve like the rest...because it is already working as much due to the Reflex built in(i.e...profile shot)....I think Justin gave you firm Advice...don't do it!!...work the whole limbs...maybe a scrape or two more on the wood right out of the Fade on the right limb...but other than that...scrape slowly on the whole Bow now to reach you desired weight/draw...good luck ....and lets see the finished Money Shot here soon......... ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

vtclimber

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 03:26:11 pm »
Damn! That helps a lot ElD! I'll slowly work each limb to weight and get some shots up when I have it complete.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 03:34:31 pm »
I think you are just about there...if I was you I would PM David Knight...and let Him look at the Pictures....since He is the Master of His Own Designs....Who else could give you a better Answer..... ???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

vtclimber

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 04:21:07 pm »
I'll shoot him an email..

Offline Keenan

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 05:03:25 pm »
Vt I have to agree with Justin. A d/r bow is never going to get an elliptical tiller to look right.  You have to remember the resting profile and make each part bend in an equal amount.  The safest and most efficient is going to be as much working limb to an equal degree.
 If you are starting with a D/R profile and bend each inch to the same degree it will not be an oval.  To qualify what Mike is doing with the oval.  I agree that it is a great aid to help see the comparison limb to limb and overall shape but to try to match an oval your reflexed part would have to be much more stressed then the rest of the limb. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:33:42 pm by Keenan »

Rich Saffold

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 05:20:18 pm »
VT  Look at the tiller on Brownhillbilly's bow here..This is what you want yours to look like. It looks like it came off the same form ...

vtclimber

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 06:42:19 pm »
Keenan - I knew it wouldn't follow an elliptical in the same manner as a traditional flatbow or selfbow.

Rich - I am pretty sure that brownhillbilly's has more reflex/deflex. I glued mine up to "mimic" David Knight's regular R/D's, not the highly reflexed ones. I'll take another look at it though as no doubt it will help.

Thanks everyone for the input!