Author Topic: 4th BBI- probably my best yet  (Read 6257 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: 4th BBI- problably my best yet
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 12:18:56 pm »
Beautiful work. You may, however, want to keep an eye out on those tips. It looks like you cut across the grain and I've seen tips like that fail by coming apart at a ring.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 03:38:15 pm »
                                           Always got to be a Party Pooper in the Bunch............. ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 04:47:34 pm »
Super job on this one. Bookmarked under January laminates for BOM if you don't mind.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Gordon

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 05:19:14 pm »
Always got to be a Party Pooper in the Bunch

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade EL. But I've seen 3 tip failures in the last 2 months due to improperly aligned grain. Here's a picture of a tip that I fixed yesterday for a buddy. It was cut across the grain just like the one pictured on this bow. The reason I even said anything is because these kind of failures can take the whole bow with them. Which would be a real shame in this case because it is an excellent bow in all other respects. If it were me, I would replace the tips with ones in which the grain ran lengthwise and is edge oriented. Sure, it may be not fail the way it is, but why take the chance with such a nice piece of work.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:22:15 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Rich Saffold

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 05:28:47 pm »
Good eye Gordon, I was getting ready to mention this.. This bow looks very sweet Brownhillbilly and I mentioned to Vt Climber to take a look at your tiller since they are very similar bows...

Rich-

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 07:01:51 pm »
OK....My Bad....I see what you are talking about now...the opposite grain orientation didn't worry me so much on the Overlay ...untill I seen that the Bamboo has been beveled completely off under the Overlay also...so that there is no Backing under the Overlay right where the String lies....and if the Tip flexes at all it can split the Overlay due to the grain Orientation....I must pay more attention in the Future...plus Gordon...you know I was just Teasing ....dontcha...... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 07:10:49 pm »
Thanks for the concern guys.  Is there any point at which I can assume that it's safe?  How many shots did it take before the failures you have seen?  This one has been shot probably 100-150 times and that cocobolo is some tough stuff.
south central VA

vtclimber

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 07:13:19 pm »
Brownhillboy....where in South Central VA are you? I am in Blacksburg..

Offline Gordon

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 08:02:40 pm »
brownhillboy,

The tip on my buddy's bow failed after about 200 shots. The other two tips failed during final tiller. Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure when such a failure might occur. Yes, cocobolo is quite hard, but the failures that I saw involved tips that were made from tropical hardwoods similar in density to cocobolo. The one thing in your favor is that the draw weight is rather light so there is not as much strain on the string groves as with the circumstances that I encountered.

The problem is if such a failure occurs at full draw, the bow is likely to be severly damaged. It is not difficult to repair a tip, why take a chance like that?

Gordon
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 08:17:30 pm »
El, I agree that a flexing tip will  increase the odds of a failure for the reasons you state. A flexible tip can cause a tip to give way even if the grain is properly aligned. That said, I experienced 2 failures on tips that did not flex - the string simply sheared through a growth ring. Now in both of those cases the the draw weight was rather high (80+),  and the tips were oriented such that their backs were plain sawn. But even so, it does illustrate the design vulnerability of aligning the tip growth rings parallel to the force vector of the string. It's just not a good practice if one strives to build safe and durable bows.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:26:45 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 08:38:54 pm »
                                                                   I Concur........ ;)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline woodstick

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 09:39:35 pm »
that looks scary fast.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 10:06:08 pm »
 I have to agree with Gordon ::) ;),  I just had a cocobolla tip let go and it did it while it was strung and leaning against the wall. I had shot it a bunch and didn't pay attention to the grain orientation. The string cut the knock like a saw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 10:56:50 pm »
Gordon, does it make any difference that the bamboo and ipe do extend underneath the string groove?  There's not a lot of bamboo still there, but a little and there's plenty of ipe under it.
south central VA

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 11:04:05 pm »
Oh yeah, vtclimber, I'm ijust outside of a little town called Ferrum, which is between Roanoke and Martinsville.
south central VA