Author Topic: Staining Buckskin for a handle grip  (Read 3627 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Staining Buckskin for a handle grip
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:05:51 pm »
I have a problem hopefully, some you can give me some suggestions.  I egg tanned a deer hide.  It's nice and soft, almost to a chamoise cloth feel.  I want to use it for a handle wrap for my bow.  But, I think it's actually too soft and too moisture absorbant.  Staining is easy, but I want to add some stiffness and some water repellant qualities to the hide.  What woud be your suggestions?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Staining Buckskin for a handle grip
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:17:53 pm »
Beeswax......I have taken Brain Tanned Deer Hide...and heat beeswax up and rub it into the Hide...when it hardens ...it stiffens the Hide up and waterproofs it in the Process....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:33:57 pm »
El, would I wrap the handle with the buckskin while the beeswax was drying?  I'm needing the buckskin to shrink around the handle.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:45:48 pm »
Rubbing in some Tite-bond III wood glue would give you a good water resistant grip. It'll stiffen the leather somewhat also. ART

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:06:52 pm »
I have never tried to make it shrink on the Bow before...I have put the Beeswax on with a Hairdryer...to make sure that it soaks all the way through the Deerskin...then sewn it on while it was still warm...and when it dried...it was a snug fit and it hardened some up when the wax set....maybe the Titebond would work better...may shrink it more...I do not know that for sure though
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:36:04 pm »
El, thanks for your honesty.  :)
Art, I was just looking at TBIII thinking about using it.  I guess I'll need to experiment on some scrap piece to find what I like.  Thanks for your all's in put.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Roger

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 11:00:34 pm »
Mix a whole box of strong Tea (tannins) in just enogh water to cover. Put the hide in and wait. Keep it in the house or garage and you'll have stiffer ( kinda bark tanned) leather in bout a week. Normally takes about a month to tan through. It will also stain the leather a med brown.

R.

Roger

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 11:07:03 pm »
Here's one I did a few years back.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 01:33:37 am »
Roger, beautiful work.  I love the beads.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Roger

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 07:27:36 pm »
Thanks...come to think of it mine was a raw hide. Yours should still take some stain. Have you smoked it to waterproof it yet. If not it should take the tannins.

R.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:25:00 pm »
Roger, no I haven't do anything to stain the buckskin.  It still a pretty off-white.  But, I've decided to go with rawhide for the grips.  I just wasn't getting the results fromt he buckskin I wanted.  And, I'm too impatient to wait a week or two to see if I would like the tea stained buckskin.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 04:03:44 am »
Rubbing in some Tite-bond III wood glue would give you a good water resistant grip. It'll stiffen the leather somewhat also. ART

I had tried that before, and it came off in one! Are you sure this works??

Roger, that quiver is really nice!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 08:13:39 am »
Heavy smoking will give it some waterproofing quality's.Then I would just cut it to size dry,then take a 1/8 of an inch or so off the with,then wet it,stretch it and sew to the handle.It will shrink up tight on the handle.That is how I do it.The smoke will make it a light brown. :) It should dry a little stiffer also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good