Author Topic: about glues  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Blacktail

about glues
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:53:05 pm »
o.k. when i get rich and famous...i want to try some bamboo and yew or bamboo and hickory bows...SO,who knows about glues...i am looking at bow gripp and was wondering what you thought about it..and if it needs a heat box to dry or if it can dry in house temps..john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: about glues
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 01:55:51 pm »
John, The best wood/wood glue(considering boo as wood) is Urac. It will set at room temps. TBIII is also an option. I believe Bow Grip is for glass/wood applications.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 03:00:29 pm »
thanks pat.you allways seem to be there in time of need...john

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:05:33 pm »
i just want to make sure that i am on the same page..i seen this in 3 rivers urac-185 for 12.95...can i get this at a hardware store...john

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 03:13:53 pm »
I don't know if or what hardware stores sell Urac. I get mine straight from Nelson. They are on the internet if you want to check them out.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 04:59:51 pm »
I believe it is the Nelson Paint Co.   You can order it directly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 06:16:14 pm »
Yep....thats where I get mine too......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 06:27:39 pm »
I've had very good luck with TB3, and use nothing else these days. Cheap, easy to clean up, waterproof, and very strong.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 07:09:53 pm »
well,i have some tb3 and might give it a try ...now i need to find some bamboo that is all ready flattened

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 08:58:30 pm »
Blacktail,
I have used TBIII with great success. I have used it on bamboo backed red elm and bamboo backed oak. I would caution you not to oversqueeze the joint on glue up.  Be sure to cover both surfaces with glue.  I use a putty knife to get it smooth.  I also use stretch wrap to bind everything together. Glue squeeze can be seen and you don't need anymore pressure than that.  I would however make sure that everything is warm (room temperature) and I would wait a little longer than 24 hours before I tried to bend it.  Also, take the stretch wrap off after 24 hours so the glue can finish drying.
I can't comment on Urac as I am not familiar with it.  I am not overly impressed with bow grip, which is a two part epoxy. I used bow grip in a handle forward design and did not find it to be any better than TBIII.  That is just my opinion and may not be the same as others.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:37:19 am »
hey John, remember the bamboo backed Yew that Buffalo made at the first bowyers gathering? it was over 70#s and he dry-fired it! the glue held up, but there was a split in the handle and we glued it back together. he dry fired it again at the indoor, and nothing failed, he pulls this bow to about 30", anchors by his ear. ::)only buffalo... anyway, I used tb3 to glue that together, and have made several others without any failures. in fact, i tried to remove a bamboo back because there was a gap that I didnt like, i tried to drawknife it and it would not seperate from the yew without leaving wood behind, i had to re-sand both to reglue it. i also like it for sinew and snake skins. never tried urac, but I know Gordon uses it.

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 11:21:49 am »
Used tbIII on both my BBI's and Justin Snyder's rubberband clamp method.  Both bows are holding up fine and haue had a few hundred shots through each of them.                                         David Knight is hard to beat for glue up ready bamboo!
Nate Danforth

vtclimber

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 11:47:48 am »
I'll second David Knights Bamboo......comes ready to go.