Author Topic: 1st stave bow - Hackberry  (Read 15902 times)

Offline barebo

Re: 1st stave bow - Hackberry
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 06:50:40 am »
That's toasted beyond what I'd expect -- Wow!!! I heated the belly of the last Ash bow that I made, just to stiffen it up a bit, but didn't get any color on the limbs. I got it really hot to the touch, and continued tiller the next day. I believe that it helped reduce string follow. I posted it a few weeks ago - "Ash bow for a Marine". We're going to have a mild weekend, so I'm going to get a Maple stave ready, and am pumped to try your (and Mullets) technique . Can't wait to see how this one braces / draws. Think you picked up any draw weight??

Offline Parnell

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 11:53:12 am »
Barebo - It absolutely picked up draw weight.  I haven't braced or re-strung the bow yet but I will this evening and I'll see where I'm at.  I was also surprised at how much more I needed to toast the belly of the bow.  I had been doing it just so it began to turn.  As I understand it now, it should be toasted almost to a burn but not a char.  Then just sanded down lightly.

I'll see how this turns out.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 04:33:30 am »
Here is a picture bringing it up to close to full draw.  I've decided tonight to take it down a half inch in length off the top limb.  I put together horn/osage tips that I'll look to get on tomorrow and then then the tips down.  Then comes the grip.

Thoughts on tiller?

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 10:34:38 am »
Is it starting to bend where you want it to bend? The lower limb looks allot inches shorter than the upper limb. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 01:24:22 pm »
The lower is in that picture 1 inch shorter.  I'm shortening the top .5" so the lower will only be .5" shorter.  I think it is the angle of the picture that exagerates it...
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 08:30:39 pm »
So the top and bottom limbs are the same length at this point.  It's 60" ntn now, and that is as short as I'm going. 

How does the tiller look?  I can afford to give up a few pounds, so tell me what you think.

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline DanaM

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 08:33:35 pm »
Hard to say as the picture is not the best angle, but if anything I'm going to say a little more bend into the fades
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 09:35:04 pm »
 I'd have it bend a just a little more about 4" back from the tips. And I'd watch scraping that upper limb near the fades. It could be the camera angle but it looks like it won't take much to hinge it there.  What's the weight at the draw length in the pictures? It is looking good. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:48 pm »
I've got 50# at 27", right now...
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 11:09:45 pm »
 That was the range you were shooting for, wasn't it? If it is and it shoots good, you ought to just make it look pretty and start another one. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline barebo

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 06:50:21 am »
Parnell - glad to see that you've got 'er bending nicely - looks ready to send some arrows down range !! Let us know how she shoots.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 11:12:40 am »
Your fades/handle section is much longer than it need to be I'd shorten them up and free up some more working limb closer to the grip if you still have weight to give. If not just keep that in mind for the next one.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Parnell

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 11:59:49 am »
I realized that early on, Ryano.  Originally I was going to follow Osage Flatbow dimensions from TBB1 and I layed it out with those.  After I shortened it up, I realized the handle and fades were too long.  Oh well, I won't follow those again.
1’—>1’

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 06:40:20 pm »
Gotta agree on the handle riser. On mine usually my handle area and fades equal up to between 7 and 8 inches and I have big ole monkey hands too.  Still a cool bow though...  :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline gmc

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:30 pm »
I really like your approach here. That is a fine bow and I like Hackberry a lot but haven't had the chance to work with it much as I'd like to.

As for comments:
You could shorten that handle without losing much draw weight at all. Now that can only be if you are willing to increase your draw length a little. Based on your last photo I see a couple inches of draw left as you don't fully have it back to your cheek. But that may be your style in drawing a bow, and if it is then go no further. That bow could, if you wanted to persue it, bend more in the inner 3rd with some additional wood removed. Two inches worth of draw would be pretty darn close the amount of wood removed to get a little more bend. But thats only my guess looking at the photos and the willingness to tweak it further. You just might pick up a little additional set in the process also.

Nice job on that bow, Parnell.

Central Kentucky