Author Topic: Advice needed on starting a naturally highly reflexed VM stave. (W/pics.)  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Advice needed on starting a naturally highly reflexed VM stave. (W/pics.)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 04:19:30 am »
Rick, proceed like you would with any other stave, but go slow and exercise well between wood removal. The wood cells will eventually relax and you should end up with a bow with between 1-2" of reflex.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 04:21:36 am »
One more thing. When the stave does give up it's tension induced reflex, it will happen almost all at once. Go slow!
Gordon

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 11:39:58 am »
Well I guess you should know Gordon, but the piece I worked with last winter seemed to heat bend pretty well for me. ???  Although I wasn't really trying to remove reflex, just evening things up a bit.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 12:43:26 pm »
I heated the last ones I built to line up the Tips...and also to pull some of the Tension induced reflex out of it...and it seemed to bend just fine too....no checks....no splinters lifted...seemed to bend like any other whitewood to me...in fact the Guy I bought the 4 staves from....Curt Brisky.... told me to use Heat to align the Tips..wet heat on two that were a month old...and dry on the two seasoned ones...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 01:45:07 pm »
Sorry I did not make myself clear. Vine maple can certainly be bent using heat. I do it all the time. What does not work particularly well is trying to heat out tension induced reflex on such a highly reflexed stave. It will eventually return to it's pre-heated state or close to it. Once the tension is worked out of the stave, however, you can easily bend the wood to do whatever you like. At least that has been my experience.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 02:28:58 pm »
                                                Thanks Gordon.......I understand now......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sonny

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 10:25:27 pm »
what tool do you use when working vine maple ??
I've tried scraping with a drawknife and a spokeshave, neither of which work very well,,for me anyhow.
I reckon I just need to break out the farrier's rasp......

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Flashman

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 10:36:57 pm »
I completely agree with Gordon.  VM is my primary wood.  I have made bows (not that many altogether) from filbert, yew and hickory but have found VM the most challenging and the one I make the most mistakes.  However, they tend to have good cast, have real character, and, lastly, maybe most importantly, is the price:  free.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 10:54:17 pm »
Sonny, the best tool I've found for vine maple is a microplane file. I use both the course and fine blades. It's almost impossible to scrape vine maple as it has so many grain swirls.
Gordon

brian melton

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 01:18:14 am »
I would steam the center (handle area) to make it more of a reflex/deflex type of bow my .02....

Brian

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 08:09:22 am »
Sonny
To work  VM I use a Torges scraper (chair scraper).  If you keep it really sharp and mess with the angle of the burr it works really well.   On really swirlly grained spots I first rough the spot lightly with a Nicholson rasp then scrape.
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 10:06:25 am »
The Best Tool that I have found for Vine Maple is a Stanley Surform...it don't care what the Grain looks like...it just wants to cut...or like Gordon stated....a Microplane Rasp...they will both do the Trick on Vine Maple....or any Wood with swirly Grain
2024...We Will Overcome