Author Topic: Rawhide Backing tryout/questions  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Rawhide Backing tryout/questions
« on: January 22, 2010, 01:28:01 pm »
Hi gang! I'm trying rawhide backing the 1hour bow as a tryout/experimentation.
I got the rawhide as a big knotted dog chew.
The hide glue I bought online (Liberon Pearl Glue).
I had a good find for the thermostatically controlled glue pot, a 1L Deep Fryer for £11.99, it works great, a glass jar of glue fits in the basket just right and I fill the fryer with water and turn the 'stat down half way.
My real question is...will the glue do it's job? It cools down almost instantly on the bow back and the wet rawhide to a tacky gel ? (I had the glue pretty runny)
I bound it on with string, and gave it a waft of the hot air gun, to reflow the glue...this seemed like a good idea as I could see it oozing through where I'd overlapped a section (it was too thin and had torn through).
So...
1. Is Chinese dried rawhide Dog Chew any good?
2. Will the hide glue be ok without my 'reflowing' ?
3. What are next weeks lottery numbers?
Watcha think guys eh? eh? :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Rawhide Backing tryout/questions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 02:25:42 pm »
What temperature is the Glue? If you don't have a thermostat...make it hot...but not so Hot that it Burns your fingers...give the Wood a thin coat of the Glue...let it set up.... have your wet Rawhide wiped down so it is still damp...but not wet...also not cold....because this will cool the Glue faster also....coat the Limb a little at a time and set the rawhide down snuggly...working the Air out as you go...then move on...all the way up the Bow...then wrap tightly to keep out the Air Bubbles and help the Glue suck down the rawhide.... Bleached Rawhide Chews will work...but they seem to have much less Collagen in them and don't seem to glue as well as Unbleached and chemically treated Rawhide does....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:34:07 pm »
Cheers, I spot calibrated the Fryer to 70degrees C with a digital thermometer and inked a big mark on the dial. :)
Hmmm maybe a cold damp January day wasn't the best time to do it....I glued it all up at once, but I've only done one limb so far.
For the next one I'll try the bit at a time technique.
That's the whole point of doing it on the 1hr bow...I can try stuff out and not too much of an investment if it goes belly up on me.
Del

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 04:27:46 pm »
I just avoid all that hide glue nightmare, and use TB3.  O:)

coyote pup

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 04:36:24 pm »
Del,

Destructo's advice is very good. I have thought about doing this same thing...after unfolding the chews, how long are they? Are you planning to splice the rawhide in the handle? If so, how?

CP

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 05:25:31 pm »
I just finished a horsebow with rawhide backing(doggie chewbone)...TB3 was the glue and I wrapped with cord til dry. also cured it it my hotbox for a couple of days.
Working great for me. 52" NTN and 43lbs @22"
Your methods are similar to what's written in the TBB's. Should work OK.

I'll post it when I get my 'puter working better. ::)

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 06:14:38 pm »
Del,

Destructo's advice is very good. I have thought about doing this same thing...after unfolding the chews, how long are they? Are you planning to splice the rawhide in the handle? If so, how?

CP
The unfolded chew was one main piece, long enough for one limb and wide enough for two. Inside that were several other bits, some a bit thicker.
I've done one limb, I shall pare it down in the midle of the handle when it's nice and dry and then do the other limb overlapping that and pare it down/file/sand etc to smooth the joint.
Unless I need to re-do the first limb of course.

I did some sinew backing tith TBIII but wasn't 1055 impressed (maybe I should have thinned down, my technique was poor too. Any how I was keen to try hide glue, this is how we learn after all.
I'll post some pics in a few days when it's dried out a tad.
Del