Author Topic: Boo backed Ipe (not for BOM)  (Read 12904 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Boo backed Ipe (not for BOM)
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 08:40:10 pm »
Justin, the splinter started just off the end of a power lam and stoped about an inch short of a node. The bamboo edges were trapped slightly and then smoothed so there were no sharp corners.  I'll post some pictures later.

I figured you had it good, I just wanted to know exactly how you did it. I do it different than most.
I don't know what caused it for sure, but I have had similar issues with boo and hickory. It seems as though I had it bending well, then when I transitioned to non bending I think it was too abrupt of a change. It was like the boo was still trying to bend, but the belly didn't want to so it popped. I decided it was putting too much stress on the fulcrum point. Of course, just because I decided that was my problem doesn't make it so.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »
It's possible that's what happened Justin, but I'm careful to make the limbs bend through the powerlam transition right up to the fade.  Maybe there was a weak spot in the backing at the point of failure - I don't know.

Keenan, I think I'll grind off the backing and replace it with a strip of Tonkin bamboo. I hear that stuff is pretty tough. I hope so...
Gordon

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 12:11:08 am »
That is a gorgeous bow Gordon. I'm sorry to hear about the boo failure. I have had my run with bad luck here lately also. I'm doing the same thing you are and ordering some more boo... from a different source.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 03:37:24 pm »
It's possible that's what happened Justin, but I'm careful to make the limbs bend through the powerlam transition right up to the fade.  Maybe there was a weak spot in the backing at the point of failure - I don't know.

Keenan, I think I'll grind off the backing and replace it with a strip of Tonkin bamboo. I hear that stuff is pretty tough. I hope so...

You would think.  I had a Tonkin backing fail on me a few years ago, the belly was IPE
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 04:06:29 pm »
Gordon I'm so sorry to hear about the failure!
It was such a beautiful bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Gordon

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 09:34:40 pm »
After taking off the existing backing I no longer think it was the bamboo that failed. It appears to have been a glue failure. I had the limb clamped at that spot so maybe I had it too tight and starved the joint. At any rate I have a piece of Tonkin worked down and ready to glue on. Hopefully I can salvage this bow.
Gordon

Offline NTD

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2010, 09:46:12 pm »
I hope you can salvage it too.  What kind of glue did you use?
Nate Danforth

Offline Gordon

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2010, 09:49:35 pm »
I used Urac. I never had a problem with Urac before, but upon close inspection I'm fairly certain the failure resulted from a delamination.
Gordon

Offline NTD

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2010, 09:54:16 pm »
Eww.  Sorry Gordon.  I've only done two laminates but have used TBIII.  Everytime shot them for the first few hundred shots I was paranoid about a delam explosion...
Nate Danforth

Offline Gordon

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2010, 11:43:02 pm »
Got her tillered today. I'm pleased with how she's turning out. The new bamboo is holding fine and the bow doesn't lose a bit of reflex after shooting.  :) This tonkin is pretty good stuff. Next up is a week of torture testing. If she makes it through that intact, we're good.
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2010, 03:54:33 am »
Good to hear it worked out that way...
Frank from Germany...

Offline Jesse

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2010, 10:52:11 pm »
Way to keep at it Gordon.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark