Author Topic: OK...... so lets tiller the BACK of the bow/ It's DONE & ALIVE  (Read 14316 times)

Offline Dave 55

Re: OK...... so lets tiller the BACK of the bow/ the one that got away !!!
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 03:22:42 pm »
Half Eye Im a firm believer that if anyone can do it you can.You do beautiful work but this should really be wild.
Now is the good old days

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: OK...... so lets tiller the BACK of the bow/ the one that got away !!!
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »
Sorry about that. Start another if you can asap. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

half eye

Re: OK...... so lets tiller the BACK of the bow/ PART 2, it lives
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 08:45:08 pm »
OK fellas....one more time, with one change (bend through handle). Ran out of the maple that aint buried that is...so grabed a piece of white ash. Here are the pics of the new one at full draw...the second pic shows the carved channel (look near the bottom limb). Plan on getting it sanded up and shoot some braced, un-braced and full draw pics when the sun's up tomorrow. Then we'll see if I can manage to get the finish on it. Post some tomorrow.
half eye ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sailordad

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 08:50:01 pm »
yup if this can be done
Rich you will be the one to prove it.
you defintaly have that never say "cant" attitude. ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 08:55:34 pm »
Damn yer a bow making machine Rich ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

half eye

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 09:02:31 pm »
Dana, Sailordad; thanks.....retired, bored, real tired of that damned snowblower eh. so makin these bows keeps me out of the Mrs. hair, and the wood dont complain when it gets abused neither.....life is real good.
half eye ;)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 09:10:08 pm »
i hear ya Rich
i actaully think i hate my snowblower at this point >:(
used it so damn much already,and we still have a good  months to go

Offline DanaM

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 09:12:24 pm »
Haven't run the snowblower in 3 weks ;D Been like spring unti today >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 09:15:38 pm »
he he he
your getting what we just got rid of

Offline tonys

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 12:15:31 am »
I  wouldn't mine knowing what the mass is - if you know. (Steve Gardner Mass principle p91 TBB4)

The grouve may be making the bow lighter and increasing the arrow energy without increasing the draw weight.

Would be interesting to know what a "normal" bow would perform like then compare the performance with the grouved bow - all other things being equal.

This may show if there is a performance issue or a decoration issue.

Tony

half eye

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 09:19:25 am »
Tonys,
      Here are main stats on the bow: NTN= 58", Draw weight 54"@ 27", Mass weight 13 ounces. (the digital scale wavers between 12.9 and 13) Grip area is 5"L x 1&1/8W x 9/16 D
Limbs are even from the centerline of the bow and taper from 1-1/8 at the fade/ grip, to 1-3/4 at mid-limb, then down to 9/16 at the tips. The channel averages 1/8" deep as is: 1/2" wide at the grip, spreading to 1-1/8" at mid limb, and down to 1/4" at the tips.
     Hope that helps some. Will post up the pics...."limb-set"...."braced"....."full draw" later today. If it ever quits snowing I can get out and "flight test the bow"....thats probably as good as I will be able to do for some sense of performance. average 10 shots and report the arrow weight and average distance for the number of shots....that is probably subjective but if it will help I'll let you know.
Half eye ;)

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 03:29:59 pm »
I  wouldn't mine knowing what the mass is - if you know. (Steve Gardner Mass principle p91 TBB4)

The grouve may be making the bow lighter and increasing the arrow energy without increasing the draw weight.

Would be interesting to know what a "normal" bow would perform like then compare the performance with the grouved bow - all other things being equal.

This may show if there is a performance issue or a decoration issue.

Tony

I think you're on to something here... I suppose a stave with unequal tension and compression strengths could be split into Tmass and Cmass.  In such a case a wood strong in tension could be grooved down the back, and one strong in compression could be grooved on the belly...  Of course bevelling would accomplish the same thing to narrow either the back or the belly...  What do you think Tony?  The mass principle could be possibly refined by also considering back/belly distribution rather than simply inner/outer mass distributions.  After all, splitting hairs is how records are broken.

Garett
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Badger

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 03:57:37 pm »
     Half, it looks like you are having a ball over there. Kind of facinating trying to figure out what the natives had in mind when they built these bows. I always like to assume they had some practical purpose beyond decoration but many times that practical purpose alluded me. I never paid much attention to detail and just made bow afrer bow after bow looking at little facets and trying to figure them out. Fun is what it is all about. Steve

half eye

Re: OK...... so lets tiller the BACK of the bow/ It's DONE & ALIVE
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 04:17:58 pm »
Fellas,
     Managed to get it done w/o screwing it up...so heres the pics (no nude money shots ;D) You are going to notice that the channel doesn't show up straight on but you can see it pretty well in the un-strung "back" shot FYI.
     One other thing....I posted the measurements allready...but forgot the limb thicknesses which are: Thickness at the fades is 9/16" going to 3/8 at midlimb and  to 5/16 at the tips.
     Enjoy the pics for now.
half eye ;)

half eye

Re: OK...... so lets tiller the BACK of the bow/ It's DONE & ALIVE
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 04:20:29 pm »
Sorry, I'm allways forgeting to put the pics up BEFORE I hit "post"
half eye :-\

[attachment deleted by admin]