Author Topic: Osage sapwood/heartwood question (with a couple pictures)  (Read 2309 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Osage sapwood/heartwood question (with a couple pictures)
« on: January 30, 2010, 09:27:04 am »
I'm working on an Osage stave and chased down to the 2nd heartwood ring.  It seems like there is some sapwood in this ring at one end of the stave.   I've never had this before, but then again this is only my third 'sage bow.  Should I go down another ring or just go for it.  I'm planning on a short sinewed bow.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 06:28:23 pm by ricktrojanowski »
Traverse City, MI

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
Re: Osage sapwood/heartwood question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 11:59:26 am »
I'd say go for it. The last Osage I built has a full ring of sapwood on the back under the snake skin. It's holding up real well. Plus with sinew you should be fine. JMO
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 04:35:43 pm »
Rick, osage sapwood is strong if handled properly from the stump.  If it is in the end of the stave, the nonworking portion, it shouldn't be a problem anyway. Will you post a pic?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 05:57:03 pm »
Pat
I'll get a pic up tonight or tomorrow morning
 Thanks
Rick
Traverse City, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 06:27:19 pm »
Pat
Here are a couple of Pics.  It's kind of hard to see. On the picture with the two staves you can see lighter colored sapwood looking wood at the far left end of the stave. 

Thanks
Rick

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage sapwood/heartwood question (with a couple pictures)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:49:27 pm »
Rick, I think it is just "bleached" out heartwood. I don't think it would be a problem. You do have enough wood to go down another ring if you are worried about it but if it feels sound I'd go with it as is. On the tip it shouldn't matter anyway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC