Author Topic: heat or steam bending for vine maple  (Read 1786 times)

Offline d frana

heat or steam bending for vine maple
« on: January 30, 2010, 03:09:56 am »
I got a vine maple stave at mojam a couple of years ago and I'm thinking it's about time I made a bow out of it.  The problem is the stave has about 3-4 inches of deflex that I want to at least straighten out.  I've never used steam before but I've had good luck with osage and a heat gun.  I'd rather use heat but I'm not sure if I'd get the result I want with what for me is a new wood.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: heat or steam bending for vine maple
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:28:51 am »
I would Boil Vine Maple...it don't do so good with Dry Heat...either Boil...or steam it out by soaking it in water...the Steaming the Stave...then Clamp it down with a little Reflex to make sure that it Dries correctly...if you clap it on something and only pull it down Flat...it will not be enough once it is let off the Form....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

Re: heat or steam bending for vine maple
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 03:45:08 am »
You can use dry heat to bend vine maple, but you have to go slow. I've had better luck with steam.
Gordon