Author Topic: learning to shoot  (Read 5653 times)

Offline jnoel2279

Re: learning to shoot
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 10:59:24 pm »
Grunt and others how do you anchor? is there a certain way, point, or what else I used to use a kisser button on  a compound but I'm lost  on primitive.

Grunt

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 09:41:51 am »
I put my index finger into the corner of my mouth. Some guys put their index finger on a tooth. Regardless it has to be the same with every shot. If I use a tab or bare fingers I seem to group a little better.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 11:04:53 am »
i put the base of my thumb touching my ear with my thumb running along the bottom of my jaw bone.

its wiered but it works for me.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 02:08:03 pm »
Index finger in the corner of the mouth, web of my thumb locked securely under my jaw bone.

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 11:53:35 am »
  This is just my exprience when i started 14 yrs. ago. I think each person is different, as far as ways to shoot instinctive. The most important part of shooting this way for me was, concentration. If you concentrate on a tiny spot of an object that you are shooting at, and not just at the whole object, you will be successful. I shoot a floating anchor. I tried anchoring the same everytime, and just couldn't get to where it felt natural. But, the one thing that everyone HAS to do to be good, in my opinion, is high level of concentration. I think this is the most important factor of shooting instinctive. Not everyone can shoot the same. They always told me that, "shooting a stick, is like throwing a baseball to someone". Your instinct, and eyes, tell your arm how hard to throw the ball to get it there. Some throw underhanded, sidearm, over the shoulder, etc.. Its all how hard you concentrate, not the technique you do it with. Shoot the way you are comfortable with, and just concentrate on a spot, inside a spot. I would start out with a 30# bow, myself. Good luck to you. Just my opinion. ;)

Offline aero86

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 12:10:12 pm »
my anchor, placing my thumb under my jaw bone.  but ive read that it helps to take only one shot from one spot, then move. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 01:37:26 pm »
When practicing I never measure distance. I let my brain figure it out.
  Another thing that will help your concentration is to shoot one arrow and retrieve before shooting another. Trying to shoot groups can play tricks with your sight picture(and ruin arrows  ;D ). When hunting you generally only get one shot. If you can put that one shot where you're looking you are getting there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 01:40:51 pm »
I practice a Single Shot at a Target...but shoot Mulitple Targets at Slightly Different Ranges...10....15....20 yard and concentrate mainly on Form and my One Small Spot the I Pick out to shoot at...works better for Me to shoot multiples like this...not as a Group
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome