Author Topic: oak dowels???  (Read 6317 times)

sakimoto

oak dowels???
« on: February 02, 2010, 11:30:12 am »
Greetings,
Can oak dowels be used for making arrows? I noticed that at the true value hardware store in my area. The oak dowels are nice an straight, or they can be straightened out very easy with some heat. They also sand very nice and take a stain very well. I usually make arrows out of cedar because it is light. I notice that the oak dowels are heavy. Does anyone have any experience with this type of arrows? Any information will be appreciated.
 ;D sakimoto

Offline Parnell

Re: oak dowels???
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:44:49 am »
I've used them and they certainly work, but, my opinion is that they are sluggish compared to the bamboo arrows I've made of equal weight.  I'm not spining arrows, still have to get that figured out.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:51:03 am »
Oak should work fine for arrows if you choose not only straight dowels but ideal grain. Other wood dowel options would probably work better, like ramin, birch or poplar but remember all of these dowels are made for doweling and not for arrow making. Good inspection of any store bought dowels is necessary to get decent arrows...but many good arrows have been made from store bought dowel stock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:52:35 pm »
 Like Pat said, and pay close attention to grain run out. Not worth an arrow breaking and going in your arm.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:58:23 pm »
I have used oak dowells for many arrows.Mostly kids arows. If you pay attention to the grain they will make durable shaft material.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:39:11 pm »
i use oak and poplar dowels for arrows, like others have said, be very pickey that the grain is straight and they will make great arrows.
45# at 27"

Offline riarcher

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:55:59 am »
Was at H Depot yesterday and looked at the Oak dowels there.
Only looked at the 3/8ths and after going through about 30 pcs, I only found 1 that may have worked.
Gave up, and continued on.

They had some other "white wood" dowels that looked much better.
But, nobody knew what they were. Each tagged "American Wood Products, Made in China"
I left.  :-X
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 11:02:37 am »
lol
lets just shoot it

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:05:28 pm »
I use oak, ash and birch dowels for arrows, but only for my warbows, as a 3/8in dowel will usually spine out at more than 100 pounds, and they`re heavy. All good things for a warbow shaft, but no for normal weight bows.

Cacatch

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:13:18 pm »
Yeah. My advice is to forget about dowel rods and just go straight to cane or some better material that you cut yourself or get from a fellow primitive archer. I used dowels for a while but now I wish I had never even messed with them. Plenty of guys on here have cane or other better materials that they would be willing to trade or maybe sell to you. Just my opinion and advice. You can use dowels, including oak, and they work, but just not as good as other materials that you have available to you here.

CP

Offline Scowler

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:42:24 pm »
I made some arrows for a fellow archer awhile back using oak dowels.  They worked quite well.  He used an 85# recurve so the weight was not a problem.  These arrows averaged 1000 grains, with a 160 grain tip.

sakimoto

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 03:55:28 pm »
Thanks for all your help and information. You are right about the oak dowel being heavy and sluggish. Today I went to another hardware store and I saw some dowels that were made of ramin, and they had the dowel made out of oak also next to them. When I picked one up I noticed that the same 3/8 inch dowel was lighter than the oak dowel. I noticed that in some sections of the forum there a some that use the ramin for arrows. I also notice the price range. .69 cents for a 4 ft. dowel compared to $1.29 for a 3 ft. dowel. Would this type of dowel make a good arrow if you checked for staightness and a straight grain? Again, Thanks for all the information. You guys take care!
Sakimoto ;D