Author Topic: Shave horse  (Read 211 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Shave horse
« on: May 21, 2024, 11:25:44 am »
Hey guys, long time no post! Life’s been busy with school and stuff. Anyways, I’m trying to build a shave horse, and I was wondering if anyone’s got dimensions and plans for one that they’d be willing to share?

Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Shave horse
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 02:18:27 pm »
Welcome back, Russell.  I'll take a pic of the one I built in a little while and try to explain my process building it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 03:45:16 pm »
Hey Russel
I do not have plans as I did it from scraps and quickly.
I show you pictures tough as this shaving horse (half horse..) ended being very useful and may give you some ideas
The first requisite was it had to occupy very little space so I made it only 5''  in width
I' ve cut back on hind legs as I use a chair and i made it with as many detachable parts as i could.
This leave me with a basic L structure that can be easily stored in very little space.
It has some small flaws but on the whole it works (pretty light and not immovable)
I've used for bow making and spoon carving, also as attachment frame for loom weaving.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 06:29:28 pm »
That’s a nice shave horse, I wouldn’t have guess you threw it together with some scrap, the explanation does help a lot, I think I might be able to pull this off.

Thanks pat, id appreciate that

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 08:57:30 pm »
Sorry, but I forgot I gave my bow horse away a few years ago. I use a Stave Master now.
 I used an 10' 2x10 cut across at 6" so I have a 6" and 4" pieces . The 6' piece is the seat/base  and the 4" is the slanted piece that the knucklehead with foot peddle was attached. The legs I used an 8' 2x4 and plastic saw horse brackets to attach the four 2' legs.
Sorry, I don't have any pics. I do think there are how to's on YouTube.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 09:43:24 am »
I used a shave horse for years and kept it outside under a tree. When I built a shop with a sturdy work bench, I found I preferred a stout vice with padded jaws coupled with a post on the end of my workbench to help support the stave. I gave my shave horse away to a guy in N Georgia, no telling where it is now.

I had my shave horse before digital cameras came on the scene so I don't have any good pictures of it.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2024, 02:47:52 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I’m gonna draw up some plans and then go for it. Hoping to make a relatively portable one as I’m moving a lot at the moment. Hopefully something I can keep in my car.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2024, 06:44:52 pm »
I’m with Eric. I’ve tried a shave horse but not a fan. I prefer a bench vise with wood and leather jaws. I made a portable bench the vise is mounted to. Mainly since I can’t do heavy wood removal and put oomph behind a draw knife with a shave horse. I think this picture shows the bench well enough. Just throwing your the info for another option. Nothing wrong with a horse, just doesn’t work for me.

Kyle