Author Topic: couple questions  (Read 2419 times)

Offline aruge

couple questions
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:57:36 pm »
Hi, long time. I've been working on a shagbark hickory selfbow. I've got it tillered, the belly and sides stained and sealed with a few coats of truoil. The back has a coat of spar eurethane from when I cut the tree a year and a half ago. The back has a texture something like a fine corduroy from where I pulled the bark off. Can I sand the back smooth with out compromising the integrity of the wood, or should I try burnishing it? I'm asking this because I would like to do some decorating on the back.
I also have a shorter bow (hickory) that I've shaped like Reginald Laubin shows in his book. I've got it floor tillered. I'm going to boil the tips when it's warmer out and recuerve them. (learning). I would like to back it with sinew. It came from the same tree as the previous bow. Should I just sand the varnish off or do I have to chemically remove it first? As always, thanks for the help.  Al

Offline yazoo

Re: couple questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:45:13 pm »
the roughness on the back is probably the trees attempt to start putting down a new layer or wood,,or the actual earlywood,,, was the tree cut spring or early summer,,,,either way wont hury to smooth down because its not doing any work anyway,, I would just lightly sand off varnish,, unless its a very short bow hickory wont need sinew,,  unless it is very short,,  mike
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 01:44:25 am »
I got a piece of hickory from Pat that was like that. It was a little darker colored like a cambium layer. I scraped it off and had a nice smooth back for the bow.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline aruge

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:41:09 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll just get the sandpaper out. The short bow is about 50" long. Just want some experience with sinew. I've only been doing this for a couple years. In my "spare"time.

Thanks again

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:15:12 pm »
All summer cut hickory I've used looked like that when the bark came off. I wouldn't sand or scrape it. It is as strong as any back is in it's natural state.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aruge

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:53:17 pm »
Thanks Pat

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:51:50 am »
I never sand the ripples smooth. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline aruge

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:10:49 am »
Guess I won't be sanding. Thanks, Guys

Offline yazoo

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 11:41:54 am »
post a photo,,is what you have got like corse grains of sand on the back,,it is the trees first attempt to put down wood,,there is a two week period each spring that if you cut the tree at this time it will have a rough texture to the wood under the bark,,if I can find a piece I will post a photo
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 12:19:29 pm »
don't sand the Back....look at the Character it adds.......... ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome