Author Topic: help with bow string  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Benvse

help with bow string
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:04:50 pm »
Please can some one tell me how to make a bowstring.  Every time I make one it ends up breaking at my nocks.  I used linen and it was 14  strands but before I shot it the string already started to break.  I have never made bow string before and want to.  I assume it is more than just twisting string together.  I have been using the same technique to make bow strings as I do for making rope.  I twist each string clockwise one at a time and then twist them counter clockwise all together.  Please help.

Offline CraigMBeckett

Re: help with bow string
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:34:53 pm »
Benvse,

You seem to be describing the correct method for a Flemish twist string, do you form a laid in loop in the end? If so one end or both? If not how are you attaching the string to the bow? String can break at knots.

I have hot used linen and therefore am not sure of the number of strands you should be using but 14 seems to be too few. What linen are you using?

Sorry for all the questions but they are necessary to come up with a possible solution.

Craig.

Offline Benvse

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:34:30 am »
I don't know what kind of linen I am using. It was a christmas gift I know it came from a craft store though.  I am using a bowyers knot to secure my string to the bow.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:42:08 am »
"I am using a bowyers knot to secure my string to the bow"

Both ends?

How thick is the 14 strand string? (we are talking of 14 spun strands here are we not?)

Can you tease a single strand of linen from the ball and tell us how long it is?

Craig.

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 04:42:38 pm »
Hi benvse. I would suggest you get some dacron, B-50 or B-500 to learn with. There are different grades of linen and the type you have may not be strong enough.

More info, like what weight are you pulling, can determine # of strands because of tensile strength. I'm just across the eastern  Illinois line in Indiana, I can send you some dacron to try. If you do a search on flemish string building, you should come up with some pics, or vids on it.

You can do a plaited loop on one end and then a bowyers not for the lower loop.