Author Topic: Problem with finish  (Read 7365 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Re: Problem with finish
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 01:47:27 am »
Thanks for all the replies guys. I talked to the seasoned older guy that runs the park district wood shop I occasionally go to and he suggested the same thing as Jawge - let it sit and dry. He had no doubt that it would finally dry but that as cold as it is right now it might take several days to dry. I live in an apartment with steam heat that alternately comes on and makes things occasionally uncomfortably warm followed by turning off until it gets uncomfortably cool. So, I've got temperature swings working against me as well. My buddy the shop supervisor said he thought as long as I had thoroughly sanded the ipe before applying the finish I shouldn't have any problems. Also I brushed it on as per the instructions and it was probably a bit thick. For future reference, he suggested applying it with a rag so that it would go on in a very thin coat that would dry much more quickly and could be easily worked in a much shorter time frame. I'll let it sit for a couple more days and see if it's getting any better over time. It's already dried on the bamboo back, but I think I had to apply more finish to the ipe because it seemed to be a good bit more absorbent than the bamboo, so I'm sure I applied it far thicker on the belly than anywhere else.

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 10:00:26 pm »
Well this is now I think about day three and the finish was dry everywhere but the ipe. So, I used a scraper to take all of the finish off of the ipe and I'm going to go back in and touch up some boo-boos that should've been sanded out that I missed. I'll degrease with denatured alcohol before applying any finish. I have some Deft sanding sealer and Deft lacquer - both are brush-on. Do you guys think this will work? The Deft lacquer gave a nice really glossy finish on the one bow I used it on. I just haven't used it since because it incredibly smelly stuff.

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 10:09:51 pm »
Oh yeah, one more thing. I don't want any more mess ups this time around. I'm going to clean it with denatured alcohol before applying the finish and if you guys have any suggestions for the best way to apply a foolproof glossy finish I'd appreciate it. Please specify brand names if you can. I plan on sanding tonight and tomorrow after work I can go and get whatever finishing products I need based on your suggestions - that's assuming that there's something better than the two Deft products I already have (sanding sealer and lacquer).

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 10:23:16 pm »
 I'll tell you what you don't want to do unless you want another mess. Donot apply Lacquer and then Tru oil. You will have a gummy mess.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 10:34:01 pm »
I'm surprised to hear of all the problems with tru-oil on ipe.  I just finished putting the 5th coat of tru-oil on my 4th bow that I have completed from one of David's blanks and I've not had any problems.  I clean it really well with a rag wetted with acetone and it works well for me.  I have had a problem getting it to stick to cocobolo which is very oily, so I seal it with superglue gel first and then go with the tru-oil after that.
south central VA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 10:41:04 am »
Been tellin Em to use Acetone !....it aint going to hurt no Glue Up....unless you soak it in a Tub of it......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 04:44:51 pm »
It's not the varnish, it's the ipe. I have had absolutely no luck getting any finish to stick to ipe until David Knight told me to use lacquer sanding sealer before putting the finish on. Works great. The spar urethane is a really good finish, and will stick to about anything except ipe. Once you get the sealer on, though, it works fine.

LAQUER SANDING SEALER? where do you get this stuff?
I agree with Gordon taht Shellac is great stuff to seal the wood. I just gotta form the habit of using it on every bow I think.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 05:34:53 pm »
It's not the varnish, it's the ipe. I have had absolutely no luck getting any finish to stick to ipe until David Knight told me to use lacquer sanding sealer before putting the finish on. Works great. The spar urethane is a really good finish, and will stick to about anything except ipe. Once you get the sealer on, though, it works fine.

LAQUER SANDING SEALER? where do you get this stuff?
I agree with Gordon taht Shellac is great stuff to seal the wood. I just gotta form the habit of using it on every bow I think.

I've bought it at Lowe's before. Works great and dries fast. Just make sure and get the Deft. I tried a bargain brand and all it did was clog, world of difference in quality but not much difference in price.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.