Author Topic: 13 more..  (Read 7294 times)

Offline aero86

13 more..
« on: February 07, 2010, 05:32:48 pm »
so i was sitting around this weekend and needed some distraction from thinking about adopting another dachshund, (this was a cute black and tan mini male, still thinking about it!).  i decided to get 2 more bags of bamboo from home depot.  i had put together 2 from my last batch already and on saturday i managed to get 11 more put together.  just finished sealing up the fletching ties.  still missing the points though, gotta make those at work.   so now i have time to think about another dacshund! darnit!

they all are the same length, its just the way they are laying..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: 13 more..
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 02:24:36 am »
...you are turning into an arrow-making machine man!   Those look good too, wish I had the patience to make that many arrows at once, I have a hard time making arrows, I like to make the arrow launchers so much more!!!!  ... I always seem to have more bows than arrows though...  :-\
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:31:25 am »
well, we should be friends then!  i like making the arrows more than bows.  ive got a red oak board bow thats in the final stages of tiller, and its been that way for over a month
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 10:25:02 am »
verry nice. im trying to learn but apparently my patience is non-existant.

Josh, i dont really have the patience to make anything, i just try to do it cuz it leads to me being able to shoot something, which is what i want in the first place.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline riarcher

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:33:27 am »
 :o NICE!
Hopefully in a couple days I'll have some trinkets heading your way.  ;)

Question -
Trying to orient the knolls (somewhat) evenly from the ends of arrows from one to another doesn't matter??
Only asking because I'm learning and don't know chit.  ::)
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 11:21:41 am »
if i cant get the nodes reasonably flat, then i try to orient them away from the bow, and hopefully its the right side too!  i cant wait to get that stuff riarcher.  i put these together in just a few hours.  got straightening down now so it doesnt take much anymore.

Offline riarcher

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 11:54:24 am »
if i cant get the nodes reasonably flat, then i try to orient them away from the bow, and hopefully its the right side too!  i cant wait to get that stuff riarcher.  i put these together in just a few hours.  got straightening down now so it doesnt take much anymore.

I meant spaced from the pointy end of the arrow.  ;)

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 12:43:06 pm »
oh, i got ya now.  nah.  ideally you want one at the front and back to reinforce the nock and point end.  but ive had great luck with my wrapped nocks and my unwrapped hot glued in field points.  off my 40lb bow that is..

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 02:21:42 pm »
aero86.  I learned what I know from a very very experienced arrow maker.  You will find, if you use a spine tester, that the nodes should be up and down on the bow, not facing into or away from it.  All my nocks are cut with the node up and down with the solid side of the cane, perferrable the stiffer side to the side plate of the bow.  You will se a huge differnece in the grouping and shooting.  IMO

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 03:17:48 pm »
thanks for the suggestion stringstretcher.  i have been placing the stiff side to the bow though.  i dont have a spine tester either.

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 09:55:31 pm »
think im ready to go stump shooting!  finished up the field points at work, and got them attached.  when i get my other bamboo from the two other people on here, and my feathers, im gonna have to give these things away!  btw, yes, those are more bamboo shoots next to my pvc quiver, im seeing how long it takes me to make these things.  yes, i have a big problem..

thats 4" crammed full.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 10:32:59 pm »
 If you are getting shafts from Home Depot, it is Tonken. So just sand the nodes down to nothing. Won't hurt a thing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline riarcher

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 11:02:39 pm »
I see you're experimenting with your nocks.  ;)
Find a preferance yet?

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 12:03:57 am »
well, ive tried a couple different ways so far.  i think it looks best cut at an angle, then filed, but i like the added thickness with the nocks cut straight into it.  i like the extra meat, you might say.  just my preferance though.  also, when i seal my fletch wrapping and self nock wraps, i seal the ends too, just to keep the outside pulling off into little splinters. 

thanks mullet.  i am glad to have more confirmation.  ive had good luck with sanding them down a bit, ill take them all the way down then. 

well, from 7pm to 8pm, i went through the 6 foot sections, culled out the ones that were too thick, straightened them a bit between the nodes, then straightened the nodes a bit, then cut them to length.  815 started bath time, but i got all the nocks cut and most of the shafts straight, except one.  just needs a bit more tweaking.  i should have brought the other field points home to install in theses shafts as well.  i will have 5 total.  so far ive got 1.5 hours into it.

Offline aero86

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 01:53:50 am »
so heres my end post.  so, i probably have about 2.5 hours total, after sealing it and adding 10 minutes for adding the points tomorrow.  i think thats pretty decent time