Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4658495 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: Life is good
« Reply #10965 on: July 14, 2014, 06:29:19 am »
Fun, fun, fun.  Hope to make it out there this Friday and spend a day or two.  I can't survive just coming out once a year for the Classic anymore.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10966 on: July 14, 2014, 08:12:40 am »
Well it looks like you guys had yet another lazy weekend getting absolutely nothing done, slackers! ;D ;D ;D   Your trailer is looking good, if you really want to look uptown you could do some fancy pin stripe work on it. ;)
Look forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks for a few days of archery fun.

PS; If I were you Pappy I'd watch Big Will, he has crazy eyes in that picture where he's posing like he is gonna punch you. ;D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10967 on: July 15, 2014, 05:18:25 am »
Looking forward to it Greg, ;) :) and to the other Greg, ;)he is just a big old Teddy bear. :) I feel pretty sure I can still out run him if the need arises. :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10968 on: July 16, 2014, 06:24:24 am »
Got the 3rd coat of Tru Oil on my latest Osage last evening,a few more coats and then 1or2 of satin poly and it should be ready for the trip North. Also got my Mullberry ready to brace,it is looking good. First Mullberry for me but seems to be pretty springy and very light in  physical weight. Hope to get it braced and maybe shooting this weekend. ;) :) Don't know with Greg [Gsulfridge] coming in I could very easily get side tracked. ;) :) So far I really like the wood,not sure what kind of Mullberry it is  :-\ all I know is it came from
Oklahoma. :) :) [Clyde Gaskins] anyone that has been to the Classic knows Clyde. ;) :) :) It came from the same tree I gave Will/Chuck a stave from and both made nice bows so we will see. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10969 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:38 am »
I cut some red mullberry 14 months ago and 1/4 split and stored it in my shed. Tried to chase some rings on it the week before the Classic this yr and was completely disappointed  :o.. I have chased rings on alot of different wood with little problem..but everytime i got close on the mullberry i would accidently cut to deep... I know its good wood but its whoopin me, lol.. Its hard to beleive how light it gets.. I thought it felt abit punky.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10970 on: July 16, 2014, 10:46:32 am »
I never had a problem chasing a ring on mulberry, Brian.
The wood is strong and quite light physically but that gives mulberry an advantage over other bow woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10971 on: July 16, 2014, 11:32:14 am »
Ya a blind man could chase the rings on this one,they are really wide to come from such a large tree,back very flat because of the size of the tree also,not going to be much over 1 ring in the bow the way it's looking and very light already,may have seemed a little that way to me also Brian to start but once the scrapper and sanded some it got very slick. I laid it out 66 n-n  1 5/8 to mid limb and tapered to 1/2 at the tips,seems to take to heat very good ,I also plan on flipping the tips when I get it out to 20 inches or so,45/50@26 is what I am shooting for.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10972 on: July 16, 2014, 11:50:56 am »
Mine to Pappy... 1/8-1/4" rings.. Tried dull and sharp drawknives.. Im thinkin it just wernt dry enuff... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10973 on: July 16, 2014, 11:30:21 pm »
I've got some with 3/4 to 1" growth rings but, it's White Mulberry. A lot more dense, and light yellow , like Osage. I didn't know the difference till Hillbilly filled me in. The red is a lot lighter in weight then the white.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10974 on: July 17, 2014, 06:05:03 am »
Wished I knew what kind this was,it is sorta yellow/orange kind of like Light colored Osage. No matter got it to low brace last evening so we will see how it comes out,it will either make a bow that I like/or a kids/ladies bow or cook brats with it. :-\ It is light and seems a little thick as far as limb thickness,if it was Osage it would be around 100lbs at this point. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10975 on: July 17, 2014, 10:39:10 am »
Pappy, that sounds like red mulberry... When you 1st cut an split it it almost looks like osage.. Thats what i have... Brian

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10976 on: July 17, 2014, 12:30:48 pm »
Pappy, a mulberry bow will be a bit thicker than an osage of the same size and weight. After mulberry ages it is hard to tell the difference between it and osage as far as color goes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10977 on: July 17, 2014, 01:41:16 pm »
I've made white mulberry the same dimensions as osage. Hard for me to tell them apart except the color and it will get just as dark as osage as it ages, also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #10978 on: July 17, 2014, 02:01:11 pm »
"Don't know with Greg [Gsulfridge] coming in I could very easily get side tracked.  ;) :)"

Hey!   I resemble that remark. :laugh: :laugh:
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10979 on: July 18, 2014, 05:29:30 am »
 ;) ;D ;D ;D FRIDAY,Thanks for the insite PatB. Eddie/Brian this must be red.Looking forward to another good weekend at the Cabin,putting the final touches on my last Osage and want to shoot it some and got my Mullberry braced so need to do some tillering. We are also going to have a little informal club meeting/working to start making plans for our Charity shoot coming up in August,also plans for our trip up to MI. the end of the month. Greg is supposed to be coming in and will be good to see him,no telling what we might get into. :) Hope yall have a good one. See ya Monday. ;) :) :)
Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good