Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4701929 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Life is good
« Reply #1185 on: March 24, 2008, 02:56:47 pm »
 Wow Pappy, you guys sure have a great set-up there. It sure shows all the hard work and your heart to help others learn the tradition.  ;D ;D    Keenan

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #1186 on: March 24, 2008, 03:36:41 pm »
I cant wait to meat you guys next weekend. I'm shere you can put me to work around the place to help get rdy for the classic, and i am all for helping long as i can taste some of them there viddles i keep seeing i can almost smell those pictures  ;D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #1187 on: March 24, 2008, 06:12:34 pm »
Leapingbare, you know the Classic is the first weekend in May. You're welcome to come early and spend a weekend if that's what you're talking about. Didn't want you to plan a trip a month early by mistake... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Ranger B

« Reply #1188 on: March 24, 2008, 10:49:18 pm »
Well, as Pappy said I got an osage stave (actually shaped up pretty good already) from him this weekend and began work.  I've made a hickory selfbow and a bamboo backed hickory bow that far exceeds the first one, but I'm far from "good" at making bows.  Pappy and Greg gave me a good pep talk and off I went.  Today I emailed Pappy and told him I may have messed up because I took some off the back.  He replied, "yep, you may have."  He then emailed Greg and told him to which Greg's reply was, "I bet it's toast."  I was panicked so I called him and we met at the cabin so Pappy could assess the damage.  Luckily I only violated one growth ring so it will be ok but man I was panicked.  Pappy and Greg are saving my bacon left and right on this osage so hopefully once it's done it will shoot ok. 

On another note Pappy I've got a line on some free hard wood so I'll try and bring some fire wood over this weekend and add to the stockpile.
Jimmy

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #1189 on: March 25, 2008, 12:13:28 am »
no Greg i am moving there.. i am in the army and i am PCS'n to FT Campbell. yall ganna have to put up with me for 4 years if ya dont run me off before then ;D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #1190 on: March 25, 2008, 02:37:45 am »
Cant wait to be down there with ya guys! Wont be able to carry much obsidian with me though. If I packed any of the Silver Sheen I would be way over the weight limit!  ;D  If its as fun as Glass Buttes I will be one happy camper!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1191 on: March 25, 2008, 06:55:50 am »
Can't wait to meet ya Leapingbare,Jimmy I got yours back down to a growth ring
yesterday after you left.Then I cut it off 1 1/2 in. on each limb and reworked the tips.
I think it will be OK,just going to have to go slow on the tiller,cause it is going to be
close to hit the weight you want.Barring no bad problem on the tillering I think it will
make it.We can still cut it down a little more ,heat the belly and flip the tips if we need
a little more weight.We will see how it goes.Tiller I grantee you will have a good time.
YA Dingleberry ,what about them Vols.and yes you are welcome.  ;) ;D ;D
    pAPPY
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #1192 on: March 25, 2008, 09:16:42 am »
Jimmy, sounds like you may be okay if we're careful from here on. You'll need to spend a short amount of time on the tillering board getting to a low brace then go to the tillering tree early so we can watch the weight and try and keep it from coming out on the lite side.

Leapingbare, that explains it...looking forward to meeting you! ;)
Greg

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #1193 on: March 25, 2008, 02:43:07 pm »
Greg, Pappy how is the weather down there. I heard there was a bunch of flooding going on around Memphis. You all OK?  Should I think about bringing a rubber raft to sleep in and an anchor to hold me in place?  ;D

Seirously though I hope everyone is OK and the flooding is far away.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1194 on: March 26, 2008, 06:47:43 am »
We got a lot of rain ,but not enough to do much flooding like it did west of us.The
raft might be a good idea tho. ;) Got another load of gravel yesterday and having gutters put on the new shed today ,so I am doing all I can do to keep us dry.Also got some new tips cut in Jimmy's bow
and the propeller tweaked a little more.He is ready to tiller,plan on doing that this weekend.Jimmy
brought a load of wood ,so if nothing else we can have a fire. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1195 on: March 28, 2008, 06:46:45 am »
Friday again,I have lots of plans.Turkey season opens this week end so I guess I will get after them a while Sat. morning and then back to work on some stave's.I also need to get started on 33 short arrows for the trophies at the Classic.Also putting some gutters on the new shed,to keep
yall dry while you are working on your bows.I have deer backstrap marinating as we speak and pinto beans soaking so supper should be eatable,throw in some taters and biscuits and we will be set.
Hope yall have a big one also.Life is good.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #1196 on: March 31, 2008, 09:57:11 am »
It seems like Pappy is a little late today posting the weekends pics. We got a lot done this weekend...finished roughing out the bow staves and started thinning some of them down to floor tiller. Pappy will probably start putting them on the forms and removing any propellor and adding some reflex this week.

We met Leapingbare and a couple of his buddies this weekend. He had asked Pappy if he could store some wood. He arrived driving a U-Haul truck, and probably had enough osage with a sprinkle of cedar and locust to make 150-200 bows from! He also had a lot of flint that we off loaded at our flintknappers bench.

Supper was fresh wild turkey, fried tatters, and biscuits...desert was chocolate cake! ;D
Greg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1197 on: March 31, 2008, 10:57:56 am »
Late this morning,putter was down but now I have it. :) Had a great weekend no
Turkey for me but so of my buddies got a couple,so we had meat. :) Wings also.
We got a lot done in the shop.Friday night had deer loin,taters and all the fixings.
Sat after the hunt we got on some staved and got them in pretty good shape.I think we have 30 adults and 9 kids roughed out and several more in 2x2x7 for anyone that wants to start from that.
I helped Jimmy get his straighted out and out to about 20 inches.I think we can make weight.Also got to meet Jessie,cool guy .He brought a load of Osage and rock to bust.He is a solider and is now at Ft. Campbell so we should see a lot of him.Super Sat was wild Turkey breast and taters and all the fixings.Here are some pictures.Life is good. :) ;)
    Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:35:14 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1198 on: March 31, 2008, 11:01:16 am »
Some of our kids,some successful hunters and a little scraping and laying out going on.
    Pappy

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:36:18 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1199 on: March 31, 2008, 11:05:09 am »
Some snacks,stuffed peppers,deer summer sausage and Jessie with a truck load
of rock and Osage,also some kids bows roughed out. :)
    Pappy

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:37:55 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good